Dead Saturn...What To Do?

Hello,

My wife's '92 Saturn was starved for oil last spring when a timing belt guide was not cleaned out of the oil pan properly (after the belt was replaced) and the car was driven basically without oil for almost twenty minutes some months afterward. Suffice it to say that I don't think a pissing match with the mechanic would change anything (we have since driven it for eight months as it progressively underperformed), and one of the lasting problems is an underperforming cylinder. Well, now her transmission is going very bad (ie. not shifting properly, engine seizing mid-intersection, etc.) and I think it's high time to junk her. Is this a $50 piece of junk to a junk yard, or is there anyway to extract more value from it? Selling parts on Ebay? Please let me know. We're trying to buy a replacement (minivan) and any money will help.

Thanks,

Mothy

Reply to
Troy Barber

David Teichholtz

May even be difficult to junk... I was at a scrap yard last winter and noted a sign that all Saturns (and a few other manufacturer's models) were no longer accepted for recycling. When I questioned this, I found that there wasn't enough steel in them to make it commercially attractive to recycle them. All the plastic components have to be separated first. Then there was the one humorous reply that they put the Saturn in the car crusher and when it comes out, pops back into original shape . Good Luck - Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

With steel prices the way they are anyone is stupid not to accept any scrap steel. China has forced a crisis in the world for scrap steel. What was cheaper to bury than recycle 6 years ago in scrap steel is not worth hundreds and hundreds. Ask anyone in North America who works with steel. They'll tell you about the monthly surcharge increases.....

Reply to
A Registered Trademark