Saturn no start

Looking for things to check before I head over to my sister's this afternoon...

99 or 01 Saturn SL2 (or SL1, I forget...)

stalled on her on Saturday night after about 2 minutes of driving (was a cold night around -25C) but restarted fine. Now, this morning, won't start. At this point I'm unsure if it's cranking or not. (it's either not cranking or it sounds like the starter may be freewheeling - I couldn't get a very good diagnosis from her.)

Things to check: Battery & cable ends - it's in an unheated garage, so I'm bringing a spare battery instead of trying to boost it with 20 foot cables. Assuming that works, check alternator voltage - I don't believe the car has a gauge, so maybe the alternator is over/undercharging/fubar.

If battery is ok and no crank: possibly bad starter/wiring fault going to starter ?

If battery is ok and crank/no start: fuel pump relay/listen for fuel pump. pull one plug wire and check for spark. Check for fuel injector pulse (never done this, how do I do it?) Plug in my AutoTap and see what's going on.

I'm suspicious of it being: Battery Battery and alternator Crankshaft position sensor (read a couple of web pages about them failing at extreme temps.)

I've never seen under the hood of this thing and I'm not sure just how "GM" it is - I'm used to my own cars and my friend's cars - either powered by a smallblock chevy or a 2.8/3.1/3.4.

Any common failures on saturns or other things to check?

Ray

Reply to
ray

Battery and connection problems often crop up when the weather turns cold and wet, and I would take tools to handle this.

I would also carry a can or bottle of a good gasoline additive...if it is cold there, or if water has condensed, a can of a good additive might be added before anything else. There is often a tendency to let gas tanks run low, and this can make the condensation/icing issue a problem. Auto gas tanks dont cause as much trouble now as they used to, but condensation in some gasoline stations storage facilities can pass into your fuel tank. The fuel filter on some models is a good place for water to collect and freeze.

When you get there, of course, see if the starter is not engaging, or whether it is cranking over the engine.

If you have a spark plug tester (they are rather cheap,and can be very helpful), you might want to carry it along. If starter IS working and the car is not starting, use it to see if you have a nice hot spark.

And I would carry a can of starter fluid. If you have anonymous fuel failures, a shot of starter fluid can help you validate the base cause.

Past that, if you are getting off into sensors, electronics, etc, you may have to take it to a pro.

Reply to
<HLS

Found out it's cranking, but not starting. Headlights don't dim out when turning over, so it's probably not battery/charging system related.

I'm going to check the connections anyway (they're probably filthy), then check for spark and then plug in my autotap and see if it helps me find the problem. I have the shop manuals for my other cars, but not for a Saturn.

I _think_ the Autotap will help diagnose a bad crank sensor, and they're cheap enough I can afford to change it (assuming I can find it ;)

I don't even know if this thing is distributorless or not. :)

I'm also going to try and check for fuel - I wonder if there's a schrader valve test port on it.

I'm stuck - it's my sister, and I don't have a mechanic to recommend to her, but I can't take two weeks to diagnose it either - it's Christmas... and I'm doing a balljoint and tie rod on the wife's car after I get back from this.

Ray

Reply to
news

I had a sudden no-start problem which was resolved by pushing the car into a garage that was at 38 degrees. After sitting overnight and recharging the battery it started right up.

To me that indicated a frozen fuel line.

It is really amazing how much different the battery works at 40 degrees rather than -10.

I put a can of HEET additive to the fuel tank and after getting it started filled the gas tank. I have not had the problem since.

I had been running 1/4 tank or less. Never had a problem with my old car but apparently not a good idea in the new old car.

Reply to
marks542004

turns over, no spark. had a code of 1599 (stall) and 0341 cam sensor error. unfortunately without a shop manual I'd be in parts tossing mode in an unheated garage without most of my tools, so I had to send her to a real mechanic - she needs the car back before Christmas and I just don't have that kind of time this week to be diagnosing an unfamiliar ignition system without a clue of how it works.

Reply to
news