Flushing Radiator

I have a 94 SL2 Saturn and would like to know how flush the radiator and system. I purchased the Prestone flushing tee and can not fiqure out where to install it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Reply to
kindashort

Personally, I'd pitch it.

Reply to
Blah blah

I agree with "Blah Blah". I've had Prestone tees go bad on two different cars - they warp from heat causing a sever coolant leak.

I have a 1993 SL1. Easiest way to flush my car is to (after draining radiator and capturing old coolant) remove the thermostat (in elbow were lower radiator hose joins engine), open petcock at bottom left of radiator and run water through the filler until it runs clear.

Assuming your 92 is similar to my 93, you need a tool to remove the thermostat from the elbow. Tool comes with a new thermostat - cost, about $15.00 at Advanced Auto. The tools is very simple; just a thick piece of cardboard tubing about the diameter of a toilet paper core. With this, its a snap to get the thermo out. Without it, I couldn't find a way.

Hardest thing is opening the damd petcock - a flat tab on a plug. You can get at it from the top, but but you can't get grip that gives you any leverage and its hard to turn; mine was, anyway. I made a tool by sawing a slot in a 4"x4"x1" block of wood. It gave me the leverage I needed.

Good luck. Gary

Reply to
Gary Compton

If I recall correctly, the tee is supposed to go into the heater core inlet line. It's the hose at the top rear of the engine that goes from the intake manifold to the firewall. It has curves in it and looks like it would be quite difficult to install a tee into, but you might be able to make it work.

k> I have a 94 SL2 Saturn and would like to know how flush the radiator

Reply to
Dave

You can also drain the block. The drain plug (bolt) is just under the thermostat area. I do not remove the thermostat to do a flush.

Leave the radiator drain and block drain open. Put a garden hose in your resevoir and turn it on just so it barely spills over. Then run the engine for

2-5 minutes or until the water coming out is clear. Shut the car off and then shut the water off. Let the entire system drain. Then repeat several more times.

James

Reply to
James1549

I too agree with "Blah Blah" about the flush tees. I was able to get a small munky-wrench on the petcock to open it.

But there are plenty of posts here about it, so i'm not gonna repeat what everyone else said.

I did a flush a while ago, and have not found a place to dispose of the used coolant. I would like to be "environmentally friendly", I've called around, but no one will take it. Would a dealership take it? or is there some kind of recycling center?

Thanks Jeremiah

Reply to
uknewwho

Yeah those petcocks can be a real hassle sometimes. A adjustable crescent wrench works as well sometimes. Depends on the angle..

Some of the auto parts stores take such things. I know Autozone here takes upto 5 quarts of oil a day per person. I cant remember if they take coolant, haven't done that in awhile.

Reply to
Blah blah

Reply to
Gary Compton

Check your local water dept. I live in Columbus, OH and here it is safe to flush a coolant in a toilet because they do something to the sewer.

Reply to
Jerry

Yes... that is why you open the eng block drain if you prefer not to remove the thermostat.

James

Reply to
James1549

We are on a municipal sewer and the local guidelines used to suggest flushing used antifreeze down the sanitary sewer (not the storm drain). Now Westchester county has semi-annual 'chemical collection days'. I can't see storing stuff for up to 6 months before disposal. Here are some other options

Oppie