Rough Idle/Vibration - 99 SL2

During the last year my 1999 SL2 has developed a vibration/roughness at idle. It also seems to idle faster than when new.

I tried new Bosch plugs, a new Bosch Oxygen sensor, new air cleaner. I found a buildup in the throttle area, and cleaned that off. I've run about

12 bottles of injector cleaner through it (the kind you add to the gas tank). None of these things affected the vibration/roughness.

I've listened for vacuum leaks, but I can't hear any.

I've changed the oil every 3000 miles.

Acceleration and performance at all other speeds is excellent--seems to be like new.

I live about 70 miles from the nearest dealer, and it is hard for me to get off work. I would like to resolve the problem myself if possible. (When I bought it, they said a new dealership was going to open in my town.)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan,

Although impossible to diagnose without seeing the vehicle, this does sound to me like a vacuum or intake manifold leak. Is it possible you loosened a hose when you changed the oil, replaced an air filter, cleaned the throttle body replaced the sensor, etc? Keep looking and maybe you will get lucky.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

have you checked your mounts? worn motor mounts will cause vibrations at idle.

Just a thought

Jeremiah

Reply to
Jeremiah

Worn mounts don't cause vibrations, they fail to damp the vibration that is already there. If they caused vibrations salvage yards would have to locate away from major tectonic faults. ;>)

Reply to
RC

ok, bad wording, just getting off work 10 hour night shift, maybe i should take a nap before replying to posts :-)

Jeremiah

Reply to
Jeremiah

Hi,

Did you get this resolved? My SL2 has just started doing this and I'd like to get some idea of what might be wrong before sending it off to the dealer.

Kirsty

Reply to
Quorlia

Hi,

Did you get this resolved? My SL2 has just started doing this and I'd like to get some idea of what might be wrong before sending it off to the dealer.

Kirsty

Reply to
Quorlia

I've had this problem ofr some time with my SL2, but I have been unable to fix it.

Let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan