Firing Order 1999 SL2

Anyone know what the Firing Order is for a 1999 SL2?

No matter which combination I use, my car won't start.

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
K2NNJ

...guessing it's the same as my 97 - with you standing in front of the car facing the engine:

The ignition cable order at the coil pack (there are 2 coils) is 4,1,2,3 (left to right) On the cylinder side it's 1,2,3,4 (left to right).

What happened right before the car decided to not start? (just curious)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Rather than pull one wire at a time, I Pulled all 4. My hands are big and they rub up against the other wires. Your a life saver!

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
K2NNJ

Still won't start!

Reply to
K2NNJ

Could I have killed something else, like the PCM?

Reply to
K2NNJ

So the only thing prior to the car not starting is you yanked the plug wires?

Did you pull the plugs too?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

It was the PCM. We had to play a trick. If you push down the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there for approx. 15sec. and turn the key it starts. Go Figure!

Reply to
K2NNJ

You flooded the engine.

The PCM interprets a wide-open throttle condition as an attempt to clear a flooded engine and shuts off fuel.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

New plugs and Wires!

Reply to
K2NNJ

Yeah. I didn't think you could flood a fuel injected engine!

Reply to
K2NNJ

Looks like you're all squared away - glad it was simple.

If you need to clear a flooded condition in the future (as Kirk explained) you don't need to wait the 15 seconds. Just put the pedal on the floor, roll the key to start, and then lift after 5-10 seconds of cranking and she should fire right off. I've experimented and the engine will catch anywhere from half throttle to no throttle (when at the lifting off step of the process).

Reply to
Jonnie Santos