Saturns as used vehicles?

Question for the group here...

Honestly, would most of you buy a Saturn as a used vehicle? Lots of the threads here seem to be repair questions.

I've been looking, and Saturns seem to be a good mix of features, vehicle size, and low mileage when it comes to used vehicles. I can find 98 or newer SL2's with 70,000 miles, sometimes less for $5000 to $6000...

Seems like a good deal if they're good vehilces. People I've talked to have mixed opinions so I figured I'd ask here.

Reply to
Beave

My 98 SL2 is worth more than that to me. In other words, I'd buy it for that price. I probably won't sell it for a while, since no one will pay me what I think its worth. It's been a relatively trouble-free car for me.

Any auto newsgroup is going to have discussion of problems and failures. Don't let that discourage you from getting any particular car. If you buy a Saturn, read posts here and you'll learn a lot of useful stuff.

Reply to
Ratbert

I bought a '99 SL1 in February with 48,000 miles for $5800. Now, at 61,000, I've had zero problems. I'm very happy so far!

-Alan L.

Reply to
apl

Same here. Bought a 99 SL1 basic car for around 6k that had 33k miles on it summer of 02. No problems so far and have about 51k miles on it now. Best of luck, MR

Reply to
MR

Me, too!

My first was a 92 SL1 with 36K -- I ran it to ~75K trouble-free miles. I'd planned on keeping it until it ran into the ground, but, alas, a drunk driver in a pick-up truck totaled it. (I had no injuries.)

My second was a replacement for that car -- a 96 SL1 with 24K. It was at about 105K when I sold it. Other than maintenance, no problems. The last repairs were to replace an EGR valve, spark plug wires, brake work, and a couple of odds and ends. I'd still have the car except that my father and sweetie were concerned about my making long trips with that many miles on the car. I couldn't convince them that at

100K, a Saturn's just getting broken in :)

My latest is a 2002 SL2 -- I bought it in July with 24K. I've noticed a little drop in quality from the earlier cars, but not significant.

I still miss the 96 -- generic, cheap to run, cheap to repair, cheap to insure, great on gas mileage, the body still looking good, comfortable on long drives.

I'd definitely recommend a used Saturn. Maybe it's something about Saturn drivers, too -- I think as a group we're pretty good about maintenance and treating our cars well.

--Nan

Reply to
nblomgren

They are probably a better used vehicle than a new one! I've had about a dozen things that have needed to be fixed on my 2002 LW300 in the 34K miles since I got it new. However, if you purchase a used one, you will typically only have to fix things that wear out, rather than fixing all of the stupid production line crap that a Japanese manufacturer would likely catch before it shipped. Of course, everything has been covered by warranty, but when you live an hour plus two ferry rides from the only dealership in a 150 mile radius, not to mention my time wasted in the waiting room, trips to the shop get tired fast! The cars are great, just poor production line quality, IMO.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

It's not really a Saturn unless it's an S-Series... (wink)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

hi we bought a used 92 sl-1,probably the most reliable car we have ever owned.

Reply to
jeff

ditto

Reply to