Unhappy owner

Well, just got finished talking to SOA re piston slap in my 99 Outback. At first the rep. agreed that two pistons should be replaced ( 2 & 4) Then they said that there are no corrective pistons for my Phase I engine and refuse to replace the block even though other people have had that done. Their answer to me is basically "live with it" The SOA rep said his 04 makes the same noise. But his goes away, mine doesn't. So it would seem that anyone considering a Subaru should be cautious. Never again for me!! Sorry for venting

1935 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup 1951 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe 1970 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe 1999 Subaru Outback wagon 2001 Mazda Tribute SUV
Reply to
DODGENUT1

What is piston slap? My subie sounds like a a kid stuck a baseball card in his bike spokes when the car is first started in the morning (cold morning or not) or sitting for over 4-5 hours. It goes away after about 10 minutes of driving? Is this the same problem?

Just curious.

Reply to
Mike Diggler

  1. Flush your engine (may be a few times in the row).
  2. Use "Mobil CleanDrive Semi-Syntetic" for one-two oil change.
  3. After that use full syntetic oil (5W30).

It help in my case. With every step you will hear "knocking sound" lower and lower. Now I have a little, but it's nothing comparing to what I had before.

Reply to
Guest
5w30 is too thin if you want to quiet the piston slap, consider at least 10-30 until spring time, then 20-50 for summer use. Oil additives (Lucas, STP) help too, but the problem does not go away. Doesn't sound like you had piston slap. This does not go away with a few oil changes, piston slap means the clearance between piston/cylinder is too much, only cure is replacement.

Ed B.

Reply to
ed

I'm glad to hear someone agrees with me on this.

The lifters on my '99 Legacy OB would chatter like crazy for the first few miles with 5w30. Much better with 10w30.

Don't know anything about piston slap as I've never had a problem with it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart