Piston Slap???

I have a 2006 Yukon Denali with the 6.0 engine with 12K miles. I recently started hearing a knocking sound when the engine is cold. Has piston slap
been reported on these engines? Please tell me no since I have this with my Expedition.
Can't anyone make an engine anymore that doesn't knock?

Honda :)
I'm starting to see why people are switching over. I did test drive an Acura TL and was I impressed.
Oh, well.
Ken

slap
I believe everyone is capable of making an engine like Honda, it's just a matter of wanting to

I have no complaints with my 04 5.3l (although it only has 38k on it) or my 91 5.7l with 258k on it. Chevy can make good motors, and they are usually located in their trucks.

I do agree actually.
That's what I though and why I decided to purchase one.
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.

NJ Vike wrote:

NJ Vike wrote:

My 2001 siverado with the 6.0 started knocking early on. The GM mechanic suggested letting the engine idle for 30 seconds or so when cold and don't rev the engine for the first mile or so (passing gear, etc). Truck now has 77K miles and runs fine, except at freeway speeds(75+) mph it does use some oil, maybe a quart per 1,000. I don't know what to expect this summer when I start pulling a fifth wheel camper.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I found another vehicle with piston-slap. Wish I did my homework.
Other than that, it's an exceptional vehicle.
Ken

recently
slap
my
Sounds to me like you are looking for trouble. Every manufacturer has problems even the high and mighty Honda and Toyota. The make nice cars, but so does everybody. Honda doesn't make a truck though, and Toyota is WAY to proud of their new ones.

I'm not looking for trouble as you suggest nor am I looking to start a thread like a domestic vs.import nor a Chevy vs. Ford but looking for answers as to why this is acceptable and if it causes damage in the future. Up until my other vehicle, a Ford Expedition with a 5.4 V8, I have never heard of any vehicle making engine noise and considering it normal.
I promised, and still hold to it, that I will never purchase a Ford again and moved on to GM but if they are like Ford, I will move on to another company.
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
NJ Vike wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I got burned on GM products years ago including a 97 Silverado and a 00 that I called my Shakerado. Both trucks were purchased new and gave me nothing but problems. The 00 shook like hell at highways speeds and all I could get out of GM including the zone rep was "they all do that." Bullcrap! I traded my 00 in on another brand truck (I won't mention which one becasue they GM sheep will find something wrong with it) and I haven't had a problem yet. And, surprise, it doesn't shake. I'm finished buy anything from GM. And by the shape GM is in I'm not alone.
Bob
I previously have owned a Dodge NIGHTMARE as well as a very unreliable Ford Fix and repair Weekly and a 85 4x4 Nissan The Nissan had 180.000 of miles with no trouble except a blown head gasket which was my fault. I put cardboard in front of the radiator to warm it up. I used this truck as a service truck. It had 1 ton of tools and supplies on a half ton truck. I wore it out and am sorry I didn't keep it and have the engine overhauled.It owed me nothing ! But I thought I would buy American this time around. BIG MISTAKE! The only language GM will understand is when we quit buying this junk they continuously put out only to nail us again on repairs that we should not have if they was built with reliability

So, to sum it up...ALL American (whatever that means) made vehicles are junk and all foreign (whatever that means) made vehicles never have any issues?

To sum it up my 71 Dotson required new king pins I drove it till it was worn out and two people owned it after me 130,000? 84 Ford dumped it at 13,000 miles because of the numerous problems ,unreliability and using 3 quarts of oil in 250 miles My 85 nisson 185,000 had two repairs head gasket my fault and failure of the distributor rotor (Aftermarket part Failure) Best truck I ever owned My 97 dodge had tranny troubles 3 radios every switch replaced including the glove box 2 rear-end alternator Evaporator coil Very unreliable Worst vehicle I have ever owned and the factory would not honor its own warranty My 01 Silverado both electric door openers $250 a pop 3 mirrors 2 heated seats tranny switch Gas gauge is currently malfunctioning Check engine light on Emergency brake replacement because of sloppy install at factory The heat pipe in the center consul for the back seat was disconnected again sloppy factory work Wheel caliper hanging up ABS brakes malfunction My wife's Lexus has not giving us the first bit of trouble Draw your own conclusion

Ron wrote:

My '02 Sierra (6.0) started making a knocking/ticking sound at the back of the engine on the drivers side, at about 30K, i thought it might be a lifter, but now think it sounds more like it could be p-slap. I have always bought GMC pick-ups starting in '85 and buying a new one every five years, or the second year after major re-designs. The '02 is a good truck, a real improvement in ride and interior over my previous '96, but i have noticed a steady 'cheapening' of the materials used in its construction. Things like window seals and lighting for the instrumentation, are of inferior quality, or just deleted. Glove-box light? Deleted. Transfer case light? Deleted. Kind of makes me wonder about the things i cant see. In the past i have had the opportunity to drive pick-ups from all the NA manufacturers, and found the GMC/Chevys to be the best quality, but no longer am confident to say this, when compared to certain foriegn maufacturers.
For me, my truck is a tool. I use it to get things done. While i have always accepted that when buying tools you get what you pay for, i am not prepared to spend a premium for a 'good tool', and get something shoddy in return.
My complaints are not irrational, nor is my loyalty to GM.
Orphaned Pick-up Buyer, George Calgary
It's truly unfortunate. I was seriously looking at the new GMC Arcadia to replace another vehicle that I will be getting rid of but again, the concern of piston slap comes to mind.
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.

im not a GM basher ....BUT, there are a multitude of problems GM has ignored, i guess, that plague different models for several years without resolution,,,,,,i really dont know what they are thinking.