PISTON SLAP

Could someone tell me if the 97 Subaru Outback has possible issues w/ piston slap.

I do know there are NO updates pistons for the 97 outback, like the 98 and up.

My dealer says that the 97 does not have this problem, however, I did google this thread

Can anyone confirm this?

thanks

Reply to
Devils Advocate

I don't think they fixed it by 97. I know that 98-01 2.5RS still suffers from it.

Devils Advocate wrote:

Dmitriy

Hi,

I live in Québec Canada. My 1997OBW showed this problem one month after I bought it new 11/29/1996. I complained during four years while the piston slap increased and when a knocking sound could be heard two years later. The mechanic told me that when the timing belt would be change the knocking sound would disappear, but it did not.

The Subaru dealer manage to have the short block replaced à 128,00Km free of charge and labor. I never heard a piston slap since and my OBW has now

207,000Km. and running perfectly. Best of luck to you.

Claude

cgilb