1997 Honda Civic Problem

Hi,

I have a 1997 Honda Civic 2Dr Ex, automatic transmission. Suddenly, this weekend when I was taking a turn the car broke on me and wont move ! When I tried engaging the any of the gears nothing happened. The rpm shows an increase when I hit the accelerator and also the speedometer shows an increase in speed. This led me to the conclusion that the gears were not getting engaged. Also, If I try putting it to the parking gear the car makes a screeching noise, the parking gears dont really help the car park but act only as a neutral now. Talked to a local transmission garage and they guessed that the axle might be broken. On inspection I saw the bellow of the passenger side front axle torn and oil seems to be coming out. Another garage suggested that there might be a electrical/mechanical problem with the transmission. Can anyone give any insights on this ? Help would be really appreciated !

raybappaditya

The gears are engaged, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing the speedometer moving.

Also, If I try putting it to

That sounds pretty likely.

Well, you have a broken axle, then.

Another garage suggested

Might be, but you need to fix the broken axle first before you worry about an other less-likely problems.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey