94 Ford Escort Wagon, idle problem

Hey Guys, My brother's Escort started having problems last week, he said the idle was off and I told him maybe it was a vacuum line, he said he thought he heard a sucking noise but when I finally got a chance to listen, I coudln't locate it. It idles fine when it's cold until about a minute into idling and then it drops and tries to die. Under cruise conditions it's fine, no problems. When going to park, right after shifting into park, the idle goes up about

500-1000 rpms for about 5 seconds, then comes back down to normal idle speed. Any one have this problem before? I'm thinking the idle air control motor but I believe it's already been changed since it looks really shiny in comparision to the rest of the engine (the engine was replaced (paid for by jiffy lube) about 9 months ago). Thanks. 1.9L inline 4.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Sounds like a vacuum leak problem. Look for a busted or disconnected hose or maybe the intake manifold gasket is leaking. Check with propane.

Reply to
Grippen