ford escort eratic idle

Hi all.I have a 1998 escort 1.6lx(zetec).on cold start the idle is eratic.if you depress the accelerator slightly the revs race up and hold for a short period before eventually returning to normal.Whilst trying to return to normal revs the car hunts.This problem seems to go after about twenty minutes running.Can anybody please help.

Reply to
leachy

Possibly a bad idle air control valve, but rather than guess pull the codes from the OBD-II port and start there. Post them on this group and I'm sure you will get some expert advice. Could be a few other things too. An Autozone should be able to get them for you, just make sure to get the exact codes from them.

Reply to
sleepdog