97 Quest: No heat, Temp guage stays low?! Help!

Hello,

I can drive my quest for an hour and the temp guage will just barely rise. No heat comes out of the inside cabin blowers.

After driving the car for a while the return radiator hose is still COLD?!

QUESTIONS:

  1. Where does the temp guage get it's reading?

  1. Any idea on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks E.

Reply to
ed

Your temp sensor is reading right. You have to find out why the engine is not heating up the coolant. Most likely the coolant is not circulating in the engine or none there.

Is there coolant in the radiator?

If there is, has the coolant been changed, or work done to the engine that would have drained the coolant?(some systems need to be bleed out)

If there is coolant and no work was done it's probably a stuck closed thermostat.

Reply to
ngmodert

PS- Even though your temp gauge is low your engine is still getting hot. It would be best to fix the problem before you drive it much more as the engine can and will overheat.

Reply to
motoron

Your thermostat is bad. The thermostat opens and closes to regulate the flow of water through the radiator. Yours is stuck open so the water is always flowing thus always cooling. Replace the thermostat or have it replaced and all will be well again.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.