97 Contour SE temp guage doesn't work

I have a 97 Ford Contour SE 4 cyl. that does not register any temp. I've driven it this way a for a few months. At first it would show a normal temp off and on, which gradually got worse. My gut feeling was a bad temp. sensor. I finally had enough and flushed the cooling system, which was looking a little funky and changed the sensor. It still doesn't show any temp. The guage does move slightly when the key is turned on, like power is getting to the guage, but that's it. The sensor seems to be working, the resistance changes with temperature. The old ones does the same thing. I register about 4 volts on the plug with the key on. I'm supprised that it only shows 4V with the key on, I don't know what it should be, though.

Anybody got any more bright ideas?

Reply to
Pat Vaughan

is the answer.