chevy 350 block question

Hello All... I have 184,000 on my 99 gmc and want to change out the engine...I have a 72

350 sitting wrapped up in my garage ready for rebuild...My question is- has there been any significant changes over the years in 350 small blocks that would make rebuilding my 72 and installing it in my 99 gmc a problem...I'm just talking shrot block and using the alum heads off the 99 vortec...

Thanks....concept

Reply to
Peter Griffin

yes. and no.

79ish and older-> driver's side dipstick. 85ish and older-> two piece rear seal, different flexplate. (maybe different balancer too? I forget.) around 88ish -> no more mechanical fuel pump boss.

Obviously the vortec heads and intake don't bolt up to the old stuff.

However, when you say 99.... it's a "classic" small block, right? Not a Gen III?

So, you might need a flexplate to go with the old block, and a fuel pump block off plate, but otherwise the new heads should fit fine on the old block. And oilpan - I'm not 100% sure if you can use your current pan. You are gonna put a good cam in there, right? ;)

Ray

Reply to
ray

sure cam and maybe some porting?...love to put my th 400 in it but that's a future project...eventually I would remove all pollution ...I live in tenn, so vehicle inspections here

Reply to
Peter Griffin

Actually, the vortec heads do use the same bolt pattern and will bolt up to the older blocks. The vortec intake will not, however, bolt up to older heads, but if he was planning on putting those heads and intake on it will work.

Reply to
51_racing

Why not just rebuild the 99? You get a roller cam, fuel injection and the computer sensors are already there. Many of those will not work on the 72 block. Don't believe the 99 heads will bolt onto the 72 block either.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Peter Griffin

that's what I meant.... :) vortec heads and intake must be used together.

the vortec heads use a completely different intake bolt pattern, but they'll bolt on any block. And there's the "weird" 87ish intakes and heads where the center two bolts are 72 degrees or something... you need extra parts to use them with a "classic" intake or heads.

classic intake bolts go straight into the head, angled on the intake. vortec intake bolts go straight through the intake, angled on the head.

Ray

Reply to
ray

if it's a classic SBC and not a GenIII it should fit, but I would double and triple check every computer connector and every part before you start. :)

Ray

Reply to
ray

Two words: Crate motor. Shop around at different GM dealers. Or low mile used Vortec from Ebay or junk yard.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz