OK, ladies and gentlemen, put on your Thinking Caps...

All I want is something that will blow the horn, and maybe flash the lights.

In it's simplest form, a switch mounted somewhere outside the car that turns the system 'on' by providing a ground path for a relay. When someone opens a door, the relay closes, current is passed to a flasher (like for your turn signals) and then to the horn and headlight relays. Very simple.

Also, this is instantaneous. As soon as they open the door, the horn starts. There is an 'always on' current source (courtesy lights) that do not turn off when the dome light is turned off, so I intend to use this for the 'trigger'.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Because this would blow the horn when *I* open the door. I leave at 1AM. But I don't want a delay. A key switch with a cover outside would solve this.

I like the way your friend thinks. Who cares if the theif gets fried?

Guess they must have shorted the battery somehow, officer!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

looks to me like you have it all figured out. So why are you asking us this? You know you could give away your secret device. For instance, from this conversation thus far, if I were a crook, I would know to look under the fender of your car for a keyswitch. Then take a sharp chisel and hammer and shear the switch off, then cut the wires to the switch, then get on with business as usual. Sometimes the best intrusion device is to catch the crook offguard. I kinda like the string tied to the toe suggestion. Ive heard it works for napping while fishing too.

Reply to
Skenny

You could adopt a little dog and build a pen in your yard.Anybody that comes snooping around (especially at night time) the dog can sound the alarm.I have a little blue heeler Australian cattle dog, but she stays in my house.I doubt if anybody would want to mess around with my old wreck (van) anyway. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Basically, wanted to see if it was feasible. (If anyone would say, "I wouldn't do that if I were you...").

I was an elec. tech for 19 years, and a geek for the past 15. I know my way around a ckt or two... ;)

As far as giving away a 'secret', if these guys even know what Usenet is, I'd be surprised.

Either that, or they'd post a message like, "This is a great site!" ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I like wood, myself. I guess I'm classified as an 'old timer' now (they didn't *HAVE* aluminum when I was in Little League!).

But I like that pleasant "squshing" sound wood makes on a 'melon'! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Newfies, eh? Where are YOU at? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

At a safe distance, eh?

Reply to
clifto

LOL! I'm actually from Mass, but I spent a lot of time in the Toronto area back in the 80's. Love the place.

For some reason, the 'eh?' stuck...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I listen to their AM 740 every night at bedtime.

Reply to
clifto

Youse meenz da joint doodookakakus usta run?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

dat be da place!

now, diz romney homey runnin' for prez. I say, go da other way...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

One of the reasons I left. (I used to live in RI).

Biggest complaint: Idiotic handgun policies for law abiding citizens.

Biggest hassle: High taxes and auto insurance rates

Biggest disappointment: Them thar' politicos keep on makin' the same mistakes and the dumb public keep on electin' 'em!

Oh, and don't forget the copious amount of salt/chemicals used to de-ice the roads and eat away on our cars. Which brings us to COLD winters that are far too long.

Other than that, it's beautiful country...

JT

(It might be hot in the summer in TX, but that's why gawd invented A/C)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I can't take the heat, but the salt here sure has chewed up a lot of nice cars I have owned...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Seems to me the older I get, the less I can handle the heat.(and humidity) I guess this Winter, I will be gripeing about the cold weather. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Well, I'll bet that you at least have the option of moving where the weather is better.

Being stuck in Canada I can only dream of living in Arizona/Cali/Nevada/etc...

: (

Reply to
Noozer

So how were your five above-zero days this year?

Reply to
clifto