GENTLEMEN

I have a 1996 contour gl zetec a/t It has 116000 miles on it I would like your feelings on changing my regular oil for mobil 1? THANKS

Reply to
JACK

el lobo

Seems to my the oil you have been using has worked fine so far, why change?

mike hunt

JACK wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt

I would do it. The problems with synthetic oil leaking on older engines has been solved. Works great in my car. Of course, it has the V6 and only

101,000 on it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Forgot to mention: I use Mobil 1. Great stuff. And slippery, too.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

One of the primary concerns with switching from dinosaur to synthetic in higher mileage engines is that the syn will often times do a better job of breaking up and suspending sludge buildup. On well seasoned motors, seals (ie, rear main, valvecover, oil pan) are often pretty much shot and only seal due to the buildup of debris behind them. Disturbing this debris will sometimes open up a leak path. Also of some concern is what the sudden circulation of 100k miles worth of crud can do to bearings. The change of the oil itself, however, poses no danger. If the engine has been treated to faithful and regular conventional oil/filter changes with good quality products and sludging is minimal, the danger is pretty small.

Reply to
Marky