OK to do this?

The electric radiator fan quit working on my 94 Chevy Corsica 6 cylinder. In order to test the fan I thought I should unplug the 2-wire plug from the sensor that is screwed into the block and jumper the 2 wires together at the plug to see if the fan comes on. Am I on the right path with this? (I replaced the sensor last year so I doubt that it is a bad sensor)

It seems to me that the sensor is merely a thermal switch that "shorts" when the engine coolant gets hot (to make the fan come on) and that by jumpering the wires on the plug I am simulating the switching action of the sensor. I don't want to actually do this without first knowing what you guys have to say about it. Thanks for the help.

You ought to first go to the library and look up the circuit in their Mitchell's manual section...

Reply to
bobj

Short form: Don't do it

Long form: the CTS is a varistor(?), shorting at the plug could damage the body control module. $$$

check the switch at various temps with an ohm meter.

Or just try a known good CTS.

Reply to
W. Stief

Wrong answer.

Negative temperature coefficient thermistor.

Someone should tell that to GM because it's part of the diagnostic routine and has been since 1980.

BTW, that car doesn't have a body control module.

Check the sensor at various temperatures with a volt meter (voltage drop).

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes you can jump it, however I would start with the fan itself. That car is old enough to have worn the fan brushes down to nothing.

Reply to
Paul

I agree...a low amp probe and scope should be all you need to confirm poor brush contact.

Reply to
tj_fleming