Wheel lug torque specs

Excellent find, thanks!

Reply to
genius

With some caveats. Like...Magnesium and/or aluminum alloy wheels are going to require different torque than listed. Such is my situation. Other than that, I also thank "hls" for this.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Why is that the case? My F150 is sold with both steel and alloy wheels. According to the owner's manual, the torque spec is the same with either. I can see where the torque specs might be different if you change the style of lug nut (different wheel to nut contact configuration or nut to wheel friction) but in most cases I would think nothing would change unless you got radically different lug nuts.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well that's just it, Ed. I DO have *special* lug nuts for my alloy wheels. They bear little resemblance to those for steel wheels. Mine have an enormous bearing surface (cone) for my wheels...they're twice the size of a steel wheel lug nut.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Are these aftermarket or OEM units? What torque level do you use on them, and how was it determined?

Reply to
hls

oh crap. here we go. Yes OEM. Regular steel wheel lugs/nuts SMALL. Alloy wheel lugs/nuts BIG.

OEM FORD PART NO. ALLOY WHEEL STUD: xf1z 1107 ba Matching OEM FORD PART NO. ALLOY WHEEL STUD BOLT: F3DZ 1012a

Torque: 85 lb-ft.

LOA, dia. etc ALL different from *normal*

Lg

Reply to
Nicholas

Dealer SVC dept told me correct torque.