Question about moving with 94 Corolla

Hi. I have a 94 Toyota Corolla, and I will be moving from North Carolina to Tennessee. I will load up my Corolla pretty well with my stuff (trunk, backseat, floor boards), but won't tow anything. The car runs fine, but I was a little worried about crossing the mountains with a loaded down car with a 4 cyl engine. I know that there is a 5% grade I have to cross, and worry if my car will stall or burn out its transmission. My car struggles up hills without any cargo. Let me know what your experiences have been, and if I am worried for no reason. Thanks.

Reply to
Sammy

Struggles up hills? Loaded down with a 4-cyl engine? LoL

I'm guessing you are used to driving V8s. Little engines need to rev to make power. Load the car. When that big hill comes push that gas pedal to the floor.

Reply to
someone

Look Sammy .... it's not like you're going to start rolling backwards before cresting a hill. That's what DOWNSHIFTING is about fer cripes sakes!.

Reply to
Philip

If you have not had regular maintenance service in a while, you may wish to have it done before you take a trip. If you take it to an independent shop, have them install OEM ignition parts if they change spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. Check the brakes, cooling system, have the transmission fluid changed, and inflate tire pressure to 4 PSI over the recommended tire pressure on the driver's door.

Reply to
Ray O

I know they call those mountains in eastern Tenn, but they are really nothing more than hills. As long as your car is running fine otherwise, these hills won't cause you significant difficulty.

Reply to
GAZ

Better yet with a 4 cy Camry one should place a cinder block on the throttle then make judicious use of the shifter and brakes to keep up with the other traffic up and down long grades. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

New filters for the air and fuel might be called for as well. Since the car is going to tackle hills, I would also suggest changing the brake fluid.

Reply to
Viperkiller