replace 1991 Corolla Wagon with ..... ???

Have you thought about either of the small Scions? They are based on the Toyota Echo. We thought about them before buying the Corolla.

Reply to
Anonymous

The Matrix is a Corolla wagon. It's probably worth a test drive to see if it doesn't grow on you.

Subarus will burn a lot more fuel than you are used to.

Neither will go the long haul without maintenance/repair in excess of your Corolla.

You may want to examine the new Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and similar new economy cars.

Reply to
ACAR

In particular he may wan to drive and price a Hyundai. They are thousands less than a Toyota or Honda and the Hyundai brand scored the number two spot in JD Powers initial quality report on 2006 models. The Toyota brand vehicles were in fourth place.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Matrix (or its twin Pontiac Vibe) is basically a Corolla wagon.

Probably because the improved engine technology has gone into just keeping up due to the cars getting bigger and heavier. Corollas today weigh a lot more than 1991 Corollas, for example.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Focus wagons and sedans should be made in the US. Hatchbacks were made in Mexico, but supposedly being transitioned to the US (if not already) due to converting the factory in Mexico to some other model.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

But they still have class-leading fuel economy. My folks have managed to get upwards of 40mpg on the highway with their '04 Corolla (automatic).

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

an ugly wagon :-|

I haven't checked the dimensions, the car looks like a scrunched up subcompact to me. Also, this really bugs me, the visibility from inside the car, I don't know why they had to pull up the doors so much, esp to the back. I feel like looking outside some prison window/fortress when looking out the back :-) Compare this to a real Corolla (or Camry) wagon.

A Camry wagon would be nice too :-) .. now it looks like I will get a Subaru wagon (not quite sure which, Impreza 2.5i, Outback Sport, or Legacy Ltd Ed) .. they get only 22/29 as opposed to my 29-30/36-37mpg, but what can I do, I can't wish better, more fuel efficient cars, I'll have to choose amongst what is available.

ah .. good point, I hadn't considered this.

Cheers, Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

You've def talked me out of a Vibe/Matrix!

Reply to
me