1997 Camry with front strut assembly rattle. Help!!!

Just like everyone else my 1997 Camry has a rattle on both sides of the frontend. I have read alot about other owners of the same vehicle having the same problems. My 97' Camry only has 28,000 miles so the struts should not be worn out. I have replaced all four struts and the strut plates, but it still rattles. No one I have talked to has an answer for me. I've even been told that I was just going to have to live with it. Does anyone out there know of a fix for the rattle or am I going to have to live with it? Help!!!

Reply to
desertrat52

Check the swaybar bushings.

frontend. I have read alot about other owners of the same vehicle having the same problems. My 97' Camry only has 28,000 miles so the struts should not be worn out. I have replaced all four struts and the strut plates, but it still rattles. No one I have talked to has an answer for me. I've even been told that I was just going to have to live with it. Does anyone out there know of a fix for the rattle or am I going to have to live with it? Help!!!

Reply to
William W. Plummer

by Strut plates I assume that means strut towers? I just had my 97 done and it rattled from day one new. They got real bad at 170,000 so I figured the struts had to go too. Sounds like maybe the rattle is from somewhere else. Have you checked the upper motor mount?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Sorry guys. The rattle only happens when we hit a dip or other situation that makes the wheels go down. It dosn't rattle when we hit a hump or other raised area. Thanx.

Reply to
desertrat52

frontend. I have read alot about other owners of the same vehicle having the same problems. My 97' Camry only has 28,000 miles so the struts should not be worn out. I have replaced all four struts and the strut plates, but it still rattles. No one I have talked to has an answer for me. I've even been told that I was just going to have to live with it. Does anyone out there know of a fix for the rattle or am I going to have to live with it? Help!!!

Turn your radio on .... real loud....

I have the same problem with my '98 (95k miles). My mechanic told me it's the strut mounts and/or struts. He also told me that he's changed struts and mounts in several other Camrys only to have the noise return after a short time. I asked him if there was any danger in just leaving everything alone and he said no. That was about a year ago. The car rides great and the steering is exceptional so I've learned to simply ignore the noises..... I also like loud music, so I turn up the CD player real loud, which helps. :-)

NRJ

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

Thats because the latest strut tower replacement did not come out until mid 2000 or so. I had mine done(strut tower only) in 1999 and it did not fix it permanently....New strut tower and new shocks just feel amazing now. Since they go bad over a long time I did not notice my ride quality suffering. Then put the new ones in and wow! Felt better than new....

Reply to
ROBMURR

Here is a great example of Toyota not getting it. I have a 97 camry been told the same thing. Toyota acts like hey who cares. When it came time to buy a couple of trucks for the company that I own, do you think the word toyota came up? Only that they don't stand behind their equipment. I understand that nothing is perfect and that there will be problems, hey life happens. The way Toyota or any company handles a problem like the head gasket(truck) and the strut problem(camry) is what caused them to be knocked out of the bidding. End of story. Been buying toyota for 27 years and would still have been. Just too delivery on a the first chevy 4 x 4 Z71.

Just my 2 cents for a small business owner

Lee

Reply to
GCSCinc