Camry 95 Rattle in the back

I have a toyota camry 95 has 130k on it. Has this rattle in the back as if there is something loose in the trunk. This rattle is usually at low speeds and over small bumps

Cleaned up the trunk still have the rattle.

Did some research and came across some topics to replace the sway bar bushings to fix this kind of rattle.

Took it to a local mechanic to replace the sway bar bushings. He replaced them and suggested to replace the struts as he thought the bushings are not the cause of the rattle.

Work done so far ....

- Replace the struts

- Replace the strut mounts

- Replace the wheel bearings for the back wheels

- Replace the sway bar bushings

I still have this rattle and don't understand what is causing it.

Any input is appreciated.

Reply to
TeriMaki

I know this sounds foolish, but after all the parts you've replaced, are you sure you don't have something loose in the trunk? How well are the tire jack and spare tire secured? There's also an extension for the jack handle under the fiberboard cover that could possibly be making contact with the spare tire rim. What does the mechanic that did all this work say? Can't he bang on various suspension parts with a rubber mallet to try to duplicate the sound with the car on a lift? On my '94, I had a rattle in the right rear when I closed the front doors at one time. Turned out to be the muffler heat shield vibrating against the bottom of the trunk. The solution I finally developed was to place a large dab of RTV silicone sealer between them and that solved it.

Reply to
Daniel

Make sure the rear deck and/or speakers are not loose. Another thing to check may be the latches that hold the rear seatbacks up.

Reply to
badgolferman

Removed everything including the spare tire and drove and it still same rattle

Initial check the tires in the back had some play sideways..hence the bearings needed replacement. The strut mounts were next and then the struts themselves as they were not in good shape (found that out then replacing the mounts)

The last thing he suggested were the sway bar links which connect the wheel and the sway bar. They also have bushings that might be bad.

Reply to
TeriMaki

Checked them ....they don;t seem to cause the rattle.

Reply to
TeriMaki

By "cleaned up" ,do you mean you removed everything ? That's what I would do, everything that will come up,tire,jack,cables,metal tools attached to bottom of cardboard etc. completely empty, temporarily to test it. If you don't want to do that, lay an old blanket or towel on top of the spare. Old towel around jack etc. Everywhere there may be metal to metal. See if that makes it disappear. After this I'd be looking at the exhaust pipe and its' brackets. The tires on my car have a tendacy to pick up pepples and rattle around the fenderwell when they fly off . I only seem to hear this in the rear for some reason. But your rattle sounds like it's more consistant, the way you described it. Really reaching, now I'd remove the back seat and retrieve that baby rattler,ha.

Reply to
hbuck

I meant a childs toy, not a snake. Forgot to chop off that r.

Reply to
hbuck

Yes. Everything was taken out. It is a low pitch rattle and is consistent and on low speed going over small bumps.

Reply to
TeriMaki

Check the trunk latch parts. On my '95, the strike plate that's bolted to the body was loose, so the closed trunk lid had some up-down play.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Lew