Master windows switch - '03 Tacoma - ground problem?

The master window switch started having problems, the drivers windows went down part way, but wouldn't go the rest of the way. I found a company online that sells replacement switches(switchdoctor.net) so I bought one. I put it in and the pressed the button for the drivers window but it only went down half way. The auto feature seemed to have a problem. So I sent it in for a replacement. The next one worked perfect the first time, the auto function lowered the driver's window all the way down. But it wouldn't do it again. Only went half way.

This switch cost 60 bucks. The local Toyota dealership wanted $394 for the same switch.

It seems very unlikely this company had 2 switches with the exact same problem. The switches for the other windows all work fine. The OEM switch is flakey on all windows, works some of the time.

So I'm not going to try a 3rd switch from this company. Seems like a waste of time. In fact, I'm wondering if their switch doesn't work correctly because of a problem with my truck. I'm wondering if I have a ground problem.

For a long time now, all the windows go down VERY slowly. And, the headlights seem like they should be brighter. Similar problem, not enough juice? Could it be the alternator?

I like that auto function for the drivers window. Its going to be hard getting used to not having that. Is there any way to test for a bad ground?

Thanks.

Reply to
JohnB

JohnB found these unused words:

Start with measuring voltage in the door and at the headlights. [Headlight lenses 'clouded'? It's about 'that' age!]

I presume the 'master switch' replacement included the electronics ... OTW it may be a fault of a circuit.

With -=lowered=- voltage you may have a partial short, or a mechanical problem with the window guide causing a 'stall'. But, as you say all windows are 'slow', then I'd be looking for a purely electrical reason.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien