Ground problem?

Hello all.

About two weeks ago my '74 started to do something weird. When I have the headlights on and put either the left or right signal on, all would be normal, until I hit the brakes. As soon as the brake lights come on, my signals go into fast-flash mode.

This doesn't happen when I use the emergency flashers, and it doesn't happen during the day or when I have just the parking lights on. It's only the headlights-signals-brakes combo that does it.

I've been all over the various electrical ground circuits and didn't see anything unusual, and even went so far as to replace all of the bulbs. No change.

a. bad ground somewhere? b. bad high beam relay (though the problem occurs with the low-beam)? c. bad switch on the steering column?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other than this, my car has been running great.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas. Mike

Reply to
Mike

I think the headlights are a Red Herring in this case. When the headlights are on, battery voltage is a bit lower. That means slightly less current from the turn signals.

The flasher is supposed to fast flash when it senses that one bulb is burned out. A bad ground (you were right!) at the tail lights will cause less current draw from the turn signals when the brake lights are on.

Start back there. Each tail light housing has a Brw ground wire which attaches to a sheet metal stab located behind the tar board on the side of the engine bay. They are notorious for getting corroded.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I've always wondered this but how do you know all this, Speedy ? And plumbing to boot. I haven't asked you any weird plumbing problems for months now.

Randy

RSMEINER

ROTFLMAO !!

Randy, I started early in life. This was me at age 4:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Have a good Christmas !

Randy

RSMEINER

Thanks Jim. The taillights were the first on my suspect list since this is one place where the problem seems to have a common connection. I did check the ground tabs and they seemed OK so I moved on, but I'll give them a much closer look. Maybe I'll run a fresh ground wire from each housing while I'm at it. Perhaps the wire itself is bad.

Merry Christmas!

Reply to
Mike

Thank you Speedy Jim!!! You were right on, as usual. I ran a new ground wire from each of my tail light housings to a clean ground, and the problem went away!! You da man!

Mike

Reply to
Mike