Advice Needed - 1979 California Bus

I could use some advice from the RAMVA experts on how to get my 1979 Bus (Westfalia Deluxe Camper) back in running condition. Last month the Bus experienced severe hesitation and lurching and eventually stopped and wouldn't start. Later that evening it started but had restricted power and would lurch when put under load. I experienced symptoms like this 20 years ago with my previous 1979 Bus, and the problem was solved the first time by replacing the Air Flow Meter. A recurrence was solved by replacing the temperature sensor.

This time, my mechanic replaced the temperature sensor and made a number of other minor fixes to the fuel injection system. Nonetheless, it still showed some hesitation and decreased responsiveness. Within a week it failed completely preceded by the same lurching symptoms I experienced when it first failed.

The Bus is now back in the shop in need of a solution. Though I suspect the Air Flow Meter could be the problem, my mechanic wants to replace the ECU - and he gererally knows these things far better than I do. The problem is that my Bus is a 1979 California Bus, and many of the fuel infection components are not compatible with the 1979 Federal Bus (I still have my old 79 in the back yard).

There are several things I would like to know:

1) What source would you recommend for replacement parts? Specifically, the ECU is Bosch 0280000182 with a VW ID # 039906021D and the Air Flow Meter is, I believe, a Bosch 0280200022.
gives some informationon the incompatibility of the ECU with the Federal 1979 Bus andearlier years.

2) Since parts are getting harder to find, is there a recommended way to replace much of the fuel injection system for this 79 Calif. Bus to essentially make it a 79 Federal Bus or something else which would be easier to maintain? Which components would have to be replaced? We're leaning toward replacing just the malfunctioning part or parts, but we're definitely considering other solutions.

The engine, by the way, was rebuilt in 2000 by Boston Bob and remains in great shape.

-- Robert Winters, Cambridge MA

Reply to
Robert Winters

How about going old skool, replace FI with good old carbs, even an "upgrade" to 40mm dual Webers or dellortos? Won't be as 'advanced' as FI, but it will be pretty much bullet proof once dialed in. No electrical components to fail.

Or if EFI is a must, then maybe a MegaSquirt DIY kit would be a decent choice. You have the jets, the ECU is maybe 200-300 dollars. Original ECU is not used.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I would be very surprised if this turns out to be a bad ECU. If you decide to let the mech replace the ECU, insist on a money-back if the problem is not solved.

My first guess would have been the cyl head temp sensor, but I guess that has been ruled out.

Bad AFM? Maybe, though failures usually result in dodgy performance at certain throttle openings.

Often, poor contact in one of the plugs will cause just the symptoms you are seeing. The AFM plug is especially prone to this.

Don't forget ignition problems too. They can be intermittent like this.

Swap the other '79 parts in place? I think that's a good option. I'm pretty sure that you can simply plug the other ECU and AFM in to the existing harness.

The oxy sensor won't do anything and (maybe) the full throttle switch won't be effective. Shouldn't matter.

I don't see any downside to this swap, at least as a test.

On Type2.com, you can view the Bosch L-Jetronic FI Manual and there are diagrams for both the Federal and Cali models so you can compare the pinouts.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Uhh, allot of wantsers have been burned by the MegaSquirt, it takes serious dedication and a high level of understanding F.i.

It is better to opt for something simple(as in entry level), like an American made/supported make/system if you live in the U.S.A.

what's the name of the entry level unit, SDS?

I have a link somewhere if interested.

J.

Reply to
Berg

Before you go to a great deal of trouble replacing the stock FI, first make sure that you have eliminated *all* potential sources of vacuum leaks. Check rubber seals and elbows closely for cracks that might not be obvious in a cursory inspection. Inspect your hoses to make sure thay haven't cracked at the ends or frayed in the middle. Check the torque on the mainifold-to-head nuts. Check your injector seals. You get the idea. Nearly 30 years is a long time to ask a rubber part to maintain any integrity.

On my '81 Vanagon (not too far removed from your '79) I had a recurring "lurching" problem which I traced to a crack on the underside of the rubber elbow which attaches to the upstream side of the Auxiliary Air Regulator. After replacing the part with the vastly inferior piece currently available from VW vendors the problem went away for a few months, then it returned. Upon inspection of the "new" part, I found more cracks. I resigned myself to buying these a few at a time, with the expectation that it was now a regular maintenance item (until I figure out a better solution).

Hope that helps, Lyle

Reply to
Lyle Beaulac

First of all, Happy New Year to all of the prized consultants on RAMVA. Your advice on how to deal with my '79 California Bus has been helpful and much appreciated, as always.

That said, my Bus is still in the shop awaiting whatever solution eventually emerges - be it repair or replacement of the fuel injection system (and any related ignition components). I still want to hear more ideas on how best to proceed, though I suspect my mechanic Greg will craft a solution of some sort soon enough (even if only just to get the Bus out of his place!).

I'll post the details of whatever gets it running again properly when the Big Day happens. I suspect this problem is not so rare and unique and that whatever solution emerges may be helpful for various other late-model Buses.

-- Robert Winters, Cambridge MA

Reply to
Robert Winters

If you haven't already done so, check out

It's just about the most comprehensive Web resource on the VW Bus.

Reply to
Lyle Beaulac