Off topic car question

Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small V8 and if so what model car was it in? I am building a 3/4 size Ford 32 Duce Roadster and looking for a small powerplant for it.

Thanks, Mike

Chopped 66 Bug

Reply to
Mike West

British Rover all aluminum V8, 3.8 liters. They made them in the...

70's? Lightweight, but can't say anything about physical dimensions. I believe it's originally a Buick engine though.

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

The Buick aluminum V8 was 215 cu inches. Would be closer to 3.5 liters.

In the F85 Jetfire, it was turbocharged and put out 215 hp. Only drawback was, like the turbocharged Corvair, the turbo did not get its oil lubrication from the engine. You had to go to the GM dealer and by bottles of turbocharger oil. [now I am dating myself]

Here is a l> > Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small

Reply to
Karl

The Yamaha V8. 3.4 liter (207ci). Ford used it in their '96 Taurus. It's out of production now.

Reply to
2

...........Those Olds/Buick/Land Rover aluminum block V8's are hard to find and expensive. Parts availability would make rebuilding one somewhat expensive as well. You might want to consider instead the Buick 3.8 liter V6 which was actually used in every other GM division except maybe Cadillac. They're plentiful and cheap in the salvage yards. It wouldn't take too much expense to rebuild one and there's enough aftermarket stuff available to get maybe 250-300 hp out of one without going to a turbo.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Yes, that was a typo on my part. Sorry. The Rover model number is also

3500. They made them with smaller engines too (non v8)

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

I work on one of the 347 of these cars made at a street rod shop in NY . This is one of the cars most people never see because of cost , and that includes what it takes to restore them.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Why not use a ford V6? It's a good engine if you get the 3.0.

Otherwise the smallest thing (in cubic inch displacement) I'd use would be a chrysler 273 V8. They were plenty powerful and parts are almost all the same as a 318/340/360 as far as periferals. I admit there's nothing terribly cheap about old chrysler engines, but this particular engine is pretty reliable and very modifiable. Of course the dimensions are almost identical the 318/340/360.......they share the same block. difference is in bore and crank and water jackets and such.

Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

The 3.8 GM V6s can be real powerhouses with a TON of aftermarket stuff available for them, or if you are lucky, find one of the Grand Nat'l or Typhoon motors in a junkyard. I think there was even a supercharged model in some of the later big FWD Buicks.

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

............I forgot about those supercharged Buicks. If one could be found, that would be a terrific answer to the original poster's question. Were those Buicks transverse engine/tranny layouts under the hood?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

That's not the only engine that had separate supercharger oil. My 95 Previa LE S/C uses oil the dealer charges $36 for 50ml (unit takes 130 ml)

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

Bet you can buy a Cadillac with a Nortstar 32 engine cheap. I know they use them in a Feiro based kit cars. Has to make them fun.

Mario Vintage Werks Resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

I think old Toyota Land Cruisers of early to mid 1970's vintage had a V8. Don't know much about them, think I've heard it was a engine that started out as a licensed version of a GM product.

Maybe some of the small Mitisubishi Fuso trucks (commercial delivery trucks) carried a V8.

Sure you couldn't settle for a V6. There are a couple of very nice Japanese V6 engines. Nissan had a pretty good V6. Mitisubishi has a very reliable 3.0L V6 which makes about 205 Hp stock.

Reply to
John Crichton