Suzuki/Daewoo question

Been looking around for a small car with PAS for the wife. PAS on Corsa's and Fiesta's a bit rare so have been looking at Suzuki Swift 1300 and a 1.4 Daewoo Lanos. Both look o.k. are low mileage and have all electric twiddley bits and are pretty cheap. Question - why? Are they going to rot/fall apart or are spares extortionate ? Any advice please ?

Also can anyone tell me the cambelt replacement mileage for these engines ?

TIA

Les J.

Reply to
LJ

The Swift is cheap for 2 reasons:

  1. It's made in Hungary
  2. It was designed over 20 years ago (launched in about 1988 I think).

As with the Suzuki, the Lanos was very cheap when it was new, which goes some way to explaining the prices.

However, both are utterly horrible to drive, have poor quality trim and ergonomics, and aren't really all that reliable.

Both will be new enough not to really worry about corrosion. But I'd not buy either.

I'd have thought PAS would be fairly easy to find on a Corsa or Fiesta - unless you've only looked at poverty models. Also worth considering are the Skoda Fabia, VW Polo, Seat Ibiza and Renault Clio.

No idea - but I wouldn't worry too much as it's going to be a cheap job to do anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

The wife's very pleased with her M-reg Clio auto we snapped up for just over a grand.

Reply to
Guy King

I've driven both old and new Clios and been quite impressed with them.

We had a very early new shape Clio in Portugal about 4 years ago - only a 1.2, but was pretty nippy, well equipped and seemed to take all my abuse in it's stride...... not much overtook me that week :-)

Can't say that I'd buy one myself, but they're at least as good as the competition, IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Wish I could find out why her seatbelt gets damp when it pours down with rain though. Doesn't appear to be the sun-roof which is the obvious first port of call.

Reply to
Guy King

Why sunroof?

Damaged or misfitting door rubbers are just as likely to be the problem.

Do check the sunroof drains too.

Reply to
Alan

A Renault auto? It'll end in tears...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from "Alan" contains these words:

They're all there and nicely squisy. It's when it's been standing in the rain, too, not driving in it.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Dave Plowman contains these words:

Frankly, for a grand it'll last two or three years and then get get binned.

Reply to
Guy King