'90 Volvo 740

3 Questions I hope they can be answered here. My 740 with 328K miles is really starting to give me a headache. Problem 1 - Hard starting. On several occasions my starter fails to engage, it's as if the battery doesn't have enough juice to spin the starter (new battery and alt in the last year). If I jump the starter with a screw driver it will then spin over no problem I've replaced the starter and it hasn't seemed to help the problem, if the car sets more than about 2 days this is almost guaranteed to happen. Any Ideas??? Problem 2 - Rough idle, several times in the last few days this car has started idling very rough when it's setting at a red light. Not every time but I have to put it in neutral and hit the fuel pedal to keep it running. If I don't do this it dies and then re starts. Again any ideas? Problem 3 - My heater controls have completely given up operating, the post on here about the fan switch only working in position 4 should help fix part of the problem. However I have no control over the heat. Living here in CO having heat is crucial; the fan problem is minimal in comparison to the lack of heat coming out the vents. Any idea on this, I've seen several posts for the opposite problem (constant heat) but couldn't find any on no heat. Thanks for any assistance, Fred
Reply to
Fred

Possible answer 1 - Connections on battery a bit loose, allows corrosion to destroy conductivity.

Possible answer 2 - Idle Air Control Valve is getting gunged up, should be cleaned thoroughly every two years along with the other components in the inlet tract (air filter to inlet manifold).

Possible answer 3 - Time to change the thermostat.

If no go come back for more possible answers.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Same problems with my 91 Camry 235,000 miles. Found out that it was the distributor. You may which to check that.

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

OK, now I really have a problem here, it won't start at all, tries to fire and just acts like it's starved for fuel. Cracked open the fuel line at the fuel rail, and it sprayed fuel every where, so I doubt it's a fuel pump problem, cleaned the Idle Air sensor to no avail. (Thanks for the input I never cleaned that before, it was a little dirty.) Any other ideas before I have it towed to the local Volvo expert?

Reply to
Fred

OK, now I really have a problem, it won't start at all, tries to fire and just acts like it's starved for fuel. Cracked open the fuel line at the fuel rail, and it sprayed fuel every where, so I doubt it's a fuel pump problem, cleaned the Idle Air sensor to no avail. (Thanks for the input I never cleaned that before, it was a little dirty.) Any other ideas before I have it towed to the local Volvo expert? Sorry if this is a dbl post my newtork dropped off on the last.

Reply to
Fred

Have you tried unplugging the air mass meter? If not give this a shot, just push in the clip and unplug the electrical connector, if the engine now starts then this is the likely culprit.

Reply to
James Sweet

On 25/11/03 1:37 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "Fred" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Pressure regulator, not enough pressure from the pump, something has found its way into all injectors, injector(s) not connected, died, fuel rail has a blockage, ingnition module buggered, ignition module not plugged in. No spark plugs in the motor, airfilter has something plastic over it? Battery rooted?

All the best

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones