96 960

Hi all, Now the wet weather is here I'm getting a pond in the nearside footwell, Before I start any ideas on where to look?

Many thanks, John

Reply to
john

Having had alook it would seem I can keep goldfish in the footwell and the trim piece on the a post is wet, suggest sunroof! (B-----R) Drains are clear so what next? J

Reply to
john

Have a look at the roof gutters - you see how they sorta disappear into the A-post adjacent to to the windscreen? Now take a look inside the car down by your feet - you've got a fresh air vent in the side panel. Take off the plastic panel around it (2 - 3 screws) and see if the water is coming through the vent surround. This is what was happening to mine.

I'm guessing that, inside the bodywork, the gutter connects to a pipe that carries the rain water past the vent to an opening in the underside of the sill. As it is impossible to get to this, I took out the vent, sprayed the inside of the box section and sill with plenty of Finnegan's Waxoyl, and refitted the vent with plenty of mastic sealant around the edges.

I've had no water ingress since (several years ago) - the rain still exits through the drain hole in the sill. I'm pretty sure the bodywork is well enough rust proofed inside the box sections to prevent any rust problems here.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Did you include the air conditioner evaportator drain?

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Have you checked the windscreen sealing and the cable entries under the extreme ends of the dash on sidewalls?

Cheers, Peter.

: > Many thanks, John : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

In the early 700s there was provision for a vent in the footwell. Later cars had that hole filled with a plastic plug (about 4" square) that breaks for no reason. It's behind the outer panel.

Reply to
Mike F