91 240 Wagon - Brake lights always on

Weird problem. Upon depressing the brake pedal, the brake lights (left, right and center) go on as they should but they stay on. Turn the car off and the lights stay off until the brakes are applied. The indicator light on the dash also goes on and stays on. The rear defroster light also goes on and stays on once the brakes are applied. No fuses out, all bulb seems ok. Havn't changed anything recently, problem just started out of no where.

I looked at the brake light switch and it doesn't apear to be stuck.

Any sugestions?

Reply to
reverendshotgun

maybe check the wiring that goes through the hinges.. might be cracking and shorting

I replaced the wires in both hinges on my '91, the old broken ones caused all sorts of odd problems

Reply to
Mike Lenker

Thanks.

I believe that might it. I pulled the fuse for the rear window defroster (heater) and the brake lights function normally. Unfortunately pulling that fuse also disabled the overdrive (4th gear) so this is a very temporary solution.