Brake and charge warning lights come on - -91 Camry

Both brake and charge light come on after about 3 miles of driving on my

1991 Toyota Camry. Battery is brand new. Alternator is about a year old. Alt. is a rebuilt purchased from Pep Boys. Battery tests at 12 V with car off, 12.5v with car started, and 14v with AC on. What's going on?
Reply to
PaulSch

Don't buy from Pep Boys - my personal opinion only. Replaced a starter in my Toyota truck three times under their lifetime warranty replacement program - only problem is that the starter is not that easy to reach under the truck. After that I got them to take it back. Bought the Toyota remanufactured starter from the dealer - never another problem. Bought a water pump from Pep Boys (slow learner I guess). Many miles from home, on a business appointment, water pump failed. Was able to coast off the highway to the appointment, but had to pay for the tow all the way home. Water pump shaft was hanging loosely in the water pump body. Only thing I can imagine being a more extreme failure would be if the casing fragmented. Your indicator lights are showing a fault with the alternator. Nippon Denso makes some of the best alternators in the world. With the factory original unit all you need to do is install new brushes at 150,000 miles and you're good for another 150k. I suppose your solution is to take it back to Pep Boys for another roll of the dice. Bought an off brand generator for a VW once. The mechanic replaced it five times under warranty until I installed the factory Bosch unit - never another problem. Now I use nothing but factory original parts - although they can often be purchased for less if you shop around. Toyota really does built quite a high level of quality in their parts, right down to the bolts and washers. As always on newsgroups, just my opinion.

Reply to
Daniel