boost control switch 940 B200FT

Hi, Can anyone help? I have increased the boost on my volvo from 7.5psi to about 12.5psi using a bleed valve on the wastegate pipe. On full throtle acceleration in 1st and 2nd I sometimes get a kick it's like taking your foot out and then back on the throtle. I understand that there is a boost control switch/valve that shuts down the fuel pump if the boost is too high. The curcuit diagram shows it but the question is WHERE is it? Some have said that it is near the pedals teed off the boost guage pipe, mine isn't. Does anyone know where it could be? This mod makes the 940 a prety quick car!!

Clive.

Reply to
Clive Napier

Not vrry quick for long: this probably isn't fuelstarvation but detonation

Reply to
M-gineering

No, the engine will take 20psi. It is definatly fuel cut off.

The switch/valve is documented but I just can't find it's location.

Clive.

Reply to
Timewarp

Try asking on

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I second that. The B230FT engine will NOT take 20 psi for more than a few moments, and in any case you need some safety precautions in place before you go upping boost, like an AF meter and accurate boost gauge. You may be hitting fuel cut off, but more likely you are experiencing compressor surge.

There is alot to know.

Learn the flow map for your particular turbo, and keep within it's parameters when you are considering a G Valve or bleed to raise boost. Go to T-Bricks and begin to learn how to safely raise boost, or you will be learning all about rebuilding detonated engines shortly.

RS

"Boris Mohar"

Reply to
Rusty

Sorry your not listening. B200FT. With squirters.

It's probably the stongest engine Volvo built.

Iv'e a lot of experience with tuning engines. I was runnerup in the national drag racing championships twice. I built the engine up from 230hp to 600hp relyably.

But that was old technology. no knock sensors or oxygen sensors.

I just wanted to know where the boost control switch was located on the car.

Regards, Clive.

Reply to
Timewarp

Clive.....what you are lookin' for may be electronic or "in the chip"......you may need to up grade or change your chip settings on the

940t....call ipd and chat w/them.....they can give you a 2nd opinion.....or...try
and look for a thread on boosting the 940...lots of folks will help over there...good luck !!
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Rusty - can you describe what compressor surge feels like or what would bring it on? I have exactly the same symptoms on a '99 V70R AWD that

*is* running at 20psi boost with an IPD exhaust and ECU. It's a strange feeling.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

Dig here

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

The control switch is behind the drivers knee panel, under the steering wheel. But, there may not be a switch there at all. Some models didn't include it, so in that case, it is probably surge. Check Turbo bricks for specific models. If there IS a switch there, you can carefully dig out the glue, and re-adjust the screw to cut off later, but...take care.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Surge happens when the compressor forces more air into it's turbine side than the turbine is capable of handling. For instance if you turn up the boost via a bleed or G Valve, and are asking for 16 hypothetical lbs from a turbo that can really only handle 12 psi, the compressor will be forcing more into the turbine side (or surging) than that turbine can handle. The effect is that the car seems to be stalling, or briefly lurching. It can repeat a few times in quick succession. If you can get a hold of a compressor map for your specific turbo, you can see what the safe and reliable PSI range for your turbo is. You may be able to get 20 lbs right now, but if you are running out of fuel, or getting compressor surge, it might be time to turn it down a bit before you melt a piston, or get a bigger turbo.

It's a rare b230ft that will reliably run 20 psi all day without some fairly hefty mods, although I know guys who run around 18 without heavy mods. It's do-able for sure, there are crazy Swedes who get 700 hp, setting it up as a drag motor. But get ready for some serious $$ if you want to extract that kind of power from a 4cyl Volvo block.

I have no knowledge of a B200 engine. To be honest, I never heard of that engine before tonight, and thought is was a typo. I continue to learn.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

I think you have fuel system LH 2.4, which has the overboost function built into the ECU program. The ECU compares signals from the air mass meter and compares it to engine RPM. If it "thinks" there's too much air going in, it turns the fuel pump relay off. Other fuel systems have the pressure switch you're seeking.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks - that make sense. I talked to IPD about it a little while ago and Scott reassured me that 18-20psi is fine on the 99 R motors. Seems like it's pushing the edge though - especially with the crappy CA gas that I have to burn.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

I have discovered (for my self and my driving style)

18-22 psi is just too much power for my 1993 940t... the rear tyres always break loose, and the car is fast ... so fast, I didn't feel very safe drivin' it like that... all the time ... I would not let other folks drive the car, as you had to "know what you are doin'" to keep it under control and out of "dicy situations".....so, I turned down the boost to a more confortable setting...I think I hit 8-12 now...It seems nice, smooth, and strong....my only weak point is/was the tranny......a buddie of mine who is tweeking his 93 940t in a "big way" put in a bmw tranny w/some upgraded plates and clutches...he told me it works like a dream...smooth, and no blow ups w/all the extra torque and power.....the b230's are a great platform to build up on...that's for sure......(imho)
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I've got my head round this now.

I will try a few things and let the group know what happens.

Mant thanks all.

Clive.

Reply to
Timewarp