V70 Climate Control

Hi

During the warm spell (in the UK) over Easter, my 1998 V70 climate control wasn't blowing refrigerated air, only (what felt like) outside air temperature, even after the car had been standing in the sun for quite a while.

The AC was re-gassed (with Oil and Dye) last October.

Where should I be looking for problems?

Thanks

Richard Web pages:

for caravanning,
for my personal web site and
because I love the email address.

Reply to
Richard Cole

If it had to be regassed in October I would be looking for a leak around seals and connections. Since it was dyed I would let the shop do the looking.

Reply to
Roadie

Roadie,

Thanks for replying. I went back to the AC people this afternoon and the Gas levels are fine and their is no sign of leaks.

When they tested the compressor, they found that there was no electricity getting to it (they tested all of the fuses and the were ok), so my next stop is to get the OBD read to see if anything is recorded there, as they seem to think it is a control board (The temperature maintains itself well when the outside is cold, so that would rule out the temperature sensor).

Thanks

Richard Web pages:

for caravanning,
for my personal web site and
because I love the email address.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Also check the AC on/off switch.

Reply to
Roadie

Bear in mind that the a/c clutch is under control of the ECU, via the ECC. If for some reason parameters are not 'just-so' the ECU will not fire up the compressor no matter what the ECC is saying.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Tim.

Thanks.

There were 2 errors in the ECU, a Low Pressure warning from the A/C and a Knock detector error.

When the Low Pressure error was forced clear, the A/C started within a few seconds. The Knock detector error would not clear, so that's another problem for another day.

Thanks to Tim and Roadie for the advice.

Richard Web pages:

for caravanning,
for my personal web site and
because I love the email address.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Good detective work & glad you figured it out. I will file that away.

Reply to
Roadie

Not my work. The diagnostic tool my (non-Volvo) dealer had sorted it all out (once they looked under Engine Control Unit rather than AC Control).