Head Gasket replacement

Hello Folks,

I am sure my head gasket is blown, thus have begun a strip down today to replace it. All going well until I got to the cover around the cam timing belt.... The outer upper piece comes off easily, but I cannot get the inner cover off... Does the other outstanding lower cover need removing first (which I think necessitates removal of the crankshaft pulley first) ? Or am I missing something silly ?

I have referred to the Haynes manual, but frankly it has sent me round in circles and left me more confused that I was to start with !

Thanks in advance for any advice,

John Car is 1997, 1.4 litre, Engine is AEX code (I think).

Reply to
john

John,

I cut a notch in the bottom fender well about two inches tall by four inches wide to get easy access to the allen bolts that hold on the lower cover. This area is absolutely non-structural and made access a snap. I used a cut-off wheel to cut the metal. It took less time to make the cut than to type this up.

Bill Longyard

Reply to
William Longyard

Hello As the timing belt should be removed anyway, I would indeed remove the lower cover Hope it helps al

Reply to
al