Looking for compression, timing guages - 91 Golf diesel

Hi:

I'm getting oil in the coolant of my '91 Golf diesel (non-turbo). My guess is that a new head gasket is called for. However I would like to do a compression check before I take the head off.

SnapOn Tools list a compression gauge, but no adaptors for VW engines.

Any ideas where I can get a compression gauge? I would also like to get a timing guage.

TIA,

Reply to
Douglas Guptill

Try Ebay for starters. They have folks auctioning that stuff for VW diesels.

You can also try these folks:

(NY state)

(PA state)

Ebay has head gaskets auctions for $5 to $7 plus shipping for your engine.

Timing gauges are CHEAP on ebay compared to buying them from the above parts stores. You can also get the tools to do the timing belt for the injection pump etc on Ebay.

Forget SnapON, they only are just too expensive for the average DIY and even the professional techs are bitching they cost too much.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I got mine at Baum Tools Unlimited Inc.

(941)927-1414