91 VW Jetta Diesel Won't Start

I went out to start my 91 Jetta turbo diesel this evening and it will not turn over after the glow plug LED extinguishes. I thought it might be the starter but a friend with a diesel of equal vintage suggested maybe it was the fuel cutout solenoid or a similiar thing. I tried a few things but nothing seemd to help. If I left the key in the ignition in the warm up stage the solenoid under the dash would start to buzz a minute or so after the glow plug LED extinguished. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the starter or the solenoid? I know the diesel hasn't gelled in the tank, the weather has been above freezing here in Philadelphia.

Drew

Proud Owner 1988 VW Jetta GLi, 1986 Jetta GLi and 1991 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel

Reply to
Drew

IIRC Turn over means the engine spins. If your engine is not turning over when you turn the ign. key to start position then look at the battery, starter, ign. switch wiring, neutral safety switch, or maybe seat belt starter interlock system.

If you mean the engine is not starting (AKA running) but does turn over or crank, then you need to check glow plug operation, fuel delivery or engine compression.

BTW check that big glow plug fuse in the engine compartment. Just follow that fat wire from the glow plugs on the engine and it will lead you to that fat fuse. Very common problem that is cheap to fix! ;-)

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave, Thanks for the reply. By not starting, I meant that when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens - the starter makes no effort to even attempt to turn the engine over. No noise comes from under the hood. It's almost like trying to start the car with no/a dead battery. I know the battery is good, I checked that out.

Drew Proud Owner 1988 VW Jetta GLi, 1986 Jetta GLi and 1991 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel

Reply to
Drew

Good. Now try jumping the solenoid on the starter to see if you can get that to function. You will see a smaller wire, smaller than the battery cable, going to the solenoid. Supply that with positive power. Uh make sure your trans is in neutral. Ign switch should be off since this is just a test!

Let us know what happens. If nothing happens you probably need a starter. If it functions then you possibly have another problem.

Ain't troubleshooting fun! ;-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Diesel needs a lot of current to move that high compression engine...I have had all go dead as you describe due to a dirty or bad connection at the battery. I You may want to check battery terminal connections as part of your diagnosis.

Reply to
Tony Bad