Re: Anybody lose a diesel engine to timing belt?

I has not happened to me, but it has happened. It has even happened that it has broken before the recommended replacement schedule. However nearly all the reports I have seen have been from owners who ignored the warnings and put off replacing it. What happened with yours?

Why on Earth would VW build a non-freerunning diesel engine with a timing > belt? When they skip or break your engine is toast. > > VW, build a good solid design turbo diesel and I will buy one. Lot's of > others will too, given the diesel's outstanding city mpg, but not at the > risk of losing a $5000 engine for a $20 belt if it gets loose or > separates. >
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

none2u

ditto for the 1.8t, 2.8l, and the diesel. You can't have a non-interference engine otherwise the diesel wouldn't make enough compression. It's close to

20:1 and 400psi cranking compression. And a timing belt system is cheaper to make than a chain system. Also quieter! Bottom line change the timing belt per your manual or 80,000miles and be happy.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck