1985 K5 305 Head Casket (no sp)

1985 Chevrolet K5 full size blazer 1/2 ton TH700R4 NP208

I just got a compression tester from AutoZone with a few adapters for $40.00 Some time this weekend I plan on doing a compression test. The tester came with basic instructions (jam open throttle, grounding, taking out plugs and such and how to "read" what the meter is saying) but does anyone have some real-world advice for what I should read into this thing?

Also found the Fel-Pro gasket kit for $52.00 at AZ as well as the head bolts for $12.00. Good prices? The gasket set sounds fine, considering it costs

19.99 for 1 Fel-Pro head gasket and the kit gives you two, and like 6 other gaskets. Bolts... I don't know how many but I guess for high-grade application specific this isn't toooooo steep.

Now my beast has headers... how should I go about the gaskets on these pups? A: reuse, reduce, recycle B: identify make - get new gaskets (how to tell who made them would be nice if this is the answer) C: Pizza box to the rescue!

I saw so many tools while I was really looking there. I normally am just looking for parts. I wanted to bring the store home "oooo carb adjuster" "oooo carb fuel pressure kit" (they had one for TBI too?)

Haynes also has a "holley carb bible". Anything going to translate into my rochester?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Also what should a "normal" PSI be for a (1)58,000 mile machine? (as you may know the odo only has 5 spots on these trucks)

Reply to
KJ

Just actually *read* the title, and it occured to me that I had a K5 once that I'd have *liked* to put in a casket...

Reply to
Cricket

the biggest thing you should be looking for is consistency, i.e. one cylinder being way above or (much more likely) below the rest.

did you buy the top-end kit or the whole engine one? last one I bought (top end) was for a honda 4 banger and it was like $125 @ NAPA a few years ago.

you can (and probably should) spend a bunch more than 12 bucks on head bolts... standard ARP headbolt sets are 50 bucks through Jeg's, Pro-Series ones are $140!

headers use (unless you've got port adapters) regular exhaust manifold gaskets. the "dead soft" copper ones are supposed to be pretty good, but I've never used them.

the pizza box would cost you more than a set of gaskets ($15), and just think about it..... you want to put grease soaked cardboard next to EXTREMELY hot metal surfaces.

no.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

There is no 'real' number, but they say "within X of each other". I've seen some places say 10%, I've seen some say 15-20psi. Last time I ran a check on my '85 4.3, they all came out to about 200psi, and the '85 4.3 was really a 350 minus a couple of cylinders. Your 305 should be between 180 and 200 psi, I'm guessing.

That's a pretty good price on the head set, and trust me, the twelve bux will be *well* worth it (or will it be 24 for both sides? ;-) )

Just identify if you've got round (look like circles) or rectangular (look like squares with rounded corners) ports on those headers, and pick up a set of 'header gaskets' to match 'em. You can go back to AZ for those.

Probably not, but Haynes also has a Rochester book - I've got one, AZ sells 'em (that's where I got mine). Lotsa useful tips, including how to modify the carb for a performance engine. :-)

Any more questions?

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

First, I found - I would have said "bought" if I buyededed it. "Fel-Pro head gasket kit/set - doesn't include bolts)

Uhm... no... Including the tow, fluids (besides gas) [oil, brake, three tranny fills, oil filter, air filter, two tranny filter/gasket sets], and some parts my K5 has come out to about $300

Okay

I ment something along those sorts in general, the one thats on there looks like corogated card board. Haven't picked at it though. Plus if you just ask you can get a box for free. IE no grease.

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

At least it's a number too look at. But unfortunately the instructions did a better job explaining what different readings indicate as a problem (sticking valve, bad ring, head gasket)

Ya... 12 bux for $0.30 in steel.

I can let em look at mine too...

Didn't see any books. Saw this at PepBoys

Wanna help do a head?

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

$200 if I do it for ya, $300 if you help. :-)

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers