1987 Chevy S10 stalling

My Chevy truck (which I believe is fuel injected), all of a sudden just stalls with no warning. This happens at no regular intervals just seems spontainious

but then the truck will start again,

today I dropped it off at a mechanic I use. He had it for most part of the day and could not figure the problem out, saying that when it stalls if the Truck would not restart he would be able to figure the problem.

The engine has 87, thousand miles on it and is in good shape.

Anyone have any ideas here please.....

Thanks

Kevin

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

WHICH engine is it?

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

Its a V6

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

Normally you would respond to this question with the size of motor (2.8L) but since Chevy did not introduce the 4.3L V-6 until the following model year, we can guess that you have a 2.8L motor (unless of course you've done the 3.1L or 3.4L swap, or something more extreme). And when you have a 4.3L like my S-series, then you still have to quantify which 4.3L it is, as there are different ones (mine is a VIN "Z" motor). That'll help you when asking for help in the future to save time and to make people more likely to respond to your question(s).

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Thanks Chris; The engine has not much power that much I do know. Does not burn oils and supposedly has been well maintained. How can I be sure of what engine size I have. I just bought this about 4 months ago, the "Sevice Engine Soon" light has been on since I have owned the truck. The truck has 87,000 miles and I guess the motor was rebuilt at 40,000. I bought this truck from a local Auto Shop who I have been using for a while now.

Yesterday while there I tried for a sticker and emissions said I was using up too much gas.

It runs great if it was not for this stalling

Thanks Again

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

As I said, I probably don't have the answers, but if they are showing it using too much gas, check/clean/replace the EGR valve (if it does truly have the 4.3L) and replace the O2 sensor. SES light can come on from either one. If you dig around the net, you can find how to pull the codes for the SES with a paper clip. My guess, as I stated was that you have the 2.8L motor, as I don't think 4.3L was in the S-series until 1988. You can verify this via the VIN number in the window, as well as the stamp on the block. The

4.3L motor trucks also have badges on the front and back of the trucks labeling them as such (or at least the front, I need to pay closer attention....).

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Great,...thanks for your help

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

Okay this would be stalling at idle speeds. He said it was was any time....

Can you say "throwing parts"?

I think his '87 is a carbureted engine...

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ