84 pontiac fiero spontanious stalling problem

I have a 84' pontiac fiero with a big stalling problem. It has the 4 tech throttle body injected engine. When I am driving it will spontaniously die and not start no matter how many times you turn the engine over. It doesn't matter what speed I'm going, what gear I'm in, if the car is heated up or not, or what the weather is (it's averages about 1 or 2 stalls a day like this). Then I'll come back to it maybe ~40 minutes later and it will start. I was thinking it was a problem with either the throttle body or maybe the gas tank or fuel filter has somehting floating around in it. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem similar to this and knows how to fix it. I havent gotten a chance to check it for spark or see if fuel is being injected when it's not running (I know I should start here but it's never stalled in a convient place where I would want to pop the back and start working on it). I hope someone can help!

-Chris

Reply to
Chris Sledzo

I had one of these exact cars. There are a number of things that can cause this.

ECM problems Fuel filter Water or trash in the fuel tank Intermittent electrics, from the ignition switch all the way down the line

Wring this out systematically. Next time it happens, for example, check to be sure you have spark. Carry a can of starter fluid with you, and if you have spark, give it an ether transfusion and see if this will make it try to start. This would eliminate spark and put the onus on the fuel system.

Last but not least, the 'tech 4' is a turd engine, called Iron Duke by some, Iron Puke by me. At this time in the production cycle, these engines tended to crack in the water jacket parallel to the lifter gallery floor. When you get a good one, it is OK. Most cracked.

Reply to
HLS

Most common problem is a faulty ignition module inside the distributor. Check for spark when it stalls. If that's good, another possibility is a bad fusible link for the ECM, it connects at the starter solenoid. Also, check for fuel by looking at the injector while the engine is cranking. If no fuel spray, and it will be very obvious, then it could be an ECM or fuel pump problem. You should check out the Fiero Forum, they have a really good tech support section. It can be found at

Click on "Pennocks Fiero Forum" under discussion and thenyou can search the archives. JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan