1998 Chevy 350 Problem Starting (Oil Pressure Switch?)

I am having problems starting. It will crank for several tries before it starts. Each time it seems to take longer. When I restart it after running, it fires right up. I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago. When I turn the key, the fuel pump powers up normally. I checked the fuel pressure and it is normal. I just replaced the fuel filter, no help. I tuned it up a year ago also and just checked the plugs, all fine. I replaced the distributor cap and coil but not the coil module. The wires were replaced also. I am thinking it is clogged fuel injectors or maybe the oil pressure switch. The oil pressure is reading normal while running. It runs without missing. It accelerates normally but when I floor it, it bogs badly. I am going to replace the oil pressure switch but I cannot locate it. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
tonyb3147

It is not the oil pressure switch.

Have you ever replaced the ignition module in the distributor?

Reply to
News Skimmer

Reply to
tonyb3147

Reply to
Shep

I'm having the same problem in my 1997 K1500 Z71 right now. I've just replaced the intake manifold gaskets & found out that after removing the distributor (which had its' clamp not so tight) the only way to get timing back in order is to hook up to a scan tool to have cam retard set to 0 degrees. The module in the distributor itself is no longer a pickup coil, it's a cam position sensor. It has to be synced to the crankshaft sensor to properly control ignition advance. I'm having this done tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get back to virtually instant starts again.

Reply to
syoung

Did you have the same issues before it finally wouldn't start? This seemed to happen over a month's time. I wanted to try everything else before I tore off the upper and lower intakes. Also that is the only way to get to the fuel injectors for those year 350's (no fuel rail). I thought the injectors were the problem.

syoung wrote:

Reply to
tonyb3147

Reply to
syoung

Thanks for the help. I am curious to see how it runs after the sync job. Mine has 135,000 and it sounds like a typical GM problem.

syoung wrote:

Reply to
tonyb3147

Reply to
syoung

Reply to
tonyb3147

Reply to
syoung

Reply to
syoung

syoung....what hardware and software system are you using?

Reply to
News Skimmer

I bought this -

- for $199.00.