1999 Silverado Odometer

My odometer/gear indicator will not light up periodically. It's getting worse, and seems to do it when ambient is below 70 deg F. I tap on the clear plastic lightly and wah-lah, it comes back. I'm suspecting the display is faulty, but am looking for other simpler (and cheaper) ideas.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so how'd you fix it?

Thanks

Reply to
JD

My son's 99 Silverado does exactly the same thing. I asked the dealer about it, he said the only solution he knows of is to swap out the instrument cluster (have to program the mileage-kind of a pain). I can't remember how much $$$ though.

HMc

Reply to
Howard McCollister

As I recall in the $250 range for the cluster then about $50 more to have the odometer set with the correct mileage. If you replace the cluster get one for a 3/4 ton truck (it has a transmission temp gauge).

Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

Yeah, those numbers sound about right, IIRC.

Good tip on the tranny temp gauge.

HMc

Reply to
Howard McCollister