2003 Avalanche stalls at low speed when firmly applying brake.

Hi there,

2003 Avalanche 191,000Kms 5.3L 4x4

When I am driving at low speed and lets say I turn sharply and apply the brake to enter a parking spot or to stop and back up, the vehicle will stall. It will start up right away all the time after this happens. As well I notice that when I am at a stop light the truck will idle real low and the volt meter will go way down and the lights will dim until I step on the gas to accelerate. Same happens when I run the defroster or the A/C.

Any Ideas?

thx,

BG.

Reply to
Furnace

Hi! It's a vacuum leak, most likely. Some times the vacuum hoses are cracked and they don't look like it; some times the oil fill cap is allowing air to be sucked in; some times the air intake hose (duct) is cracked and allowing air in. That is the "easiest" thing to check. If the hoses are good, it could be a stuck PCV (positive crankcase valve).

On my Toyota the air intake hose was split underneith where it was not visible, and the vehicle was doing exactly what you described above. I patched it with duct tape, bailing wire, and more duct tape because I'm poor white trailer trash, and it solved the problem.

Reply to
Desertphile

That's unlikely to be the cause, vacuum leaks tend to increase the idle, not decrease it. This is more likely the cause.......

with that, as a matter of course he should pull any stored codes with an OBDII reader and see what's there.

Reply to
Augustus

Uh, it is an obsewrved fact that a vacuum leak can cause low idle and stalling when the vehicle comes to rest.

Please do the following test: start your vehicle's engine (if you have one) and get it up to operating temperature; then unscrew the oil fill cap and remove it. Or disconnect the air intake hose.

Reply to
Desertphile

An unusually high idle is indicative of a vacuum leak. This is pretty common knowledge....pull offyour PCV hose and see what happens if you don't believe me..

Reply to
Augustus

Did you do the test I suggested? If you did you will have discovered the engine idle speed will decrease. This is also true for a bad air intake hose and other vacuum hoses.

Reply to
Desertphile

Did you do the test I suggested?

Reply to
Augustus

Did you do the test I suggested as well?

Reply to
Augustus

Not yet.

Reply to
Furnace

Dear idiot,

Giving people wrong advice is not doing them a favor.

Reply to
Desertphile

Then, of course, there's the type of idiot who thinks that an engine with a vacuum leak can only decreases the idle speed.

And, of course, ignore the fact that I gave him what was likely the correct cause, a common issue with the throttle bore buildups. Plus checking for thrown codes with an OBDII scanner. I'd be looking for lean trim codes caused by unmetered air entry. So who's the idiot here?

Reply to
Augustus

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, play nice.

I removed the intake and noticed a considerable build up around the butterfly valve. I liberally sprayed Throttle Body Cleaner to remove the schmegma and whaddya' know.......... it worked. The truck idles fine and no longer sounds like it is going to die on me when the defroster kicks in.

Thanks for the advice.

BG.

Reply to
Furnace

Glad it worked out for you. Have a good one...

Reply to
Augustus