2wd body on 4wd

I looking for any information about swapping a 2wd body on to 4wd frame. I have a 1986 2wd truck that the body is in great shape but the engine is in need of repair and a 4wd 1986 that the body is rough but has a new crate motor that runs great. I am not sure if it would be easier to replace the engine or swap the body. It would be nice to have the 4wd system but I have not did an off frame project before. I am a rookie wrench that can get the job done when needed. My first concern is the cab of the 2wd fitting on the 4wd frame due to the transfer case. They are both the same year...long bed trucks and would make a great truck once joined together as one.

Reply to
rookie

i have a 48 Mercury sitting on a 79 blazer full time 4x4 chassis.....body mounts had to be modified of course but it wasnt really all too......if the

Reply to
Jay Anderson

You should be good to go. Cut away for the shift lever and go for it.

-- Bruce

99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac 89 YJ 03 Liberty Ltd L.O.S.T #000256 90 XJ6 Sovereign
Reply to
Bruce

Go for it. I'm doing a far more major swap and even this isn't that bad. My guess is that you *might* have to change over a cross member, but that should be about it.

Cheers, - Jeff G http://jeffgross/com/willys

rookie wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Gross

Bruce...

In talking with some mechanics they stated that I would need to change the transmission tunnel in the cab to make this work due to the 2wd drive does not allow for the tranfers case. Is this correct???

Rookie

Reply to
rookie

The cabs should be the same for both. KB

Reply to
Thundersnake #9 remove spam
['86 2wd cab to 4wd frame swap]

I did the earlier generation: a '8x 2wd cab onto a '78 4wd frame. In my case I had the choice of lifting the cab (Ewwww) or cutting out the driveline hump from the 2wd and bolting in the lifted hump from the 4wd cab. I did the latter with no problems, and very few saw blades. A good torch and a steady hand might go quicker, I dunno.

Once old cab is off, check the mounts, eh? Being cheap I welded in the biggest galvanised washers I could get and didn't replace mounts.

Reply to
Don Quixote

Yeah they don't restamp the cab shapes for 4x4 or 4x2. It should be the same.

-- Bruce

99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac 89 YJ 03 Liberty Ltd L.O.S.T #000256 90 XJ6 Sovereign
Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
Elbert Clarke

It's not actually that much different - the center of the floorpan from a

*manual* shift 2wd will fit a 4x4 with no modifications. The *automatic* 2wd will need to have the floorpan worked on a bit - I've got this conversion waiting for me at my father's house, as the cab on my '79 4x4 is completely shot (see: rustholes around windshield) and I was given a 2wd cab from a '78 Texas truck that's almost mint - even still has carpet in pretty good shape.

HTH

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Nope.

Good luck, enjoy, and keep a sawz-all handy.

Reply to
Don Quixote

Is the" hump" area a bolt in like the older fords or is it a complete molded steel floorpan ?

Reply to
Batty

Thanks I have been watching this thread, I may do the same if I can come up with a shortbed 4x4

Reply to
Batty

Have a look and see.

-- Regards Gordie