350 Small Block Starter

Hi all,

I have a 84 Silverado with a 350 small block. The bolt hole nearest the outside of the block where the starter bolts on broke away. I've had it welded but it keeps breaking off. Does anyone know of a different starter that can be mounted not using this hole?

Jimb

Reply to
Dad

Where did it break, through the hole itself or between the holes? As far as a different mounting on a SBC never seen anything other than the bolts through the starter and the brace to the block off the rear. Maybe weld it and then put a threadsert insert in. That would take some stress off the casting.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
George

Dad and Rebel48 are the same person....pretty lame...

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Funny part is that this place doesn't even sell starters....

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

I don't think Castings take weld well either I suggest using some JB weld epoxy instead they claim that farmers have use it to fix cracked blocks on tractors and such. If you let it dry properly it holds pretty well. A weld won't do anything good though

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

the super early small blocks had the starter bolt to the bell housing.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ed, I'm not looking for smart ass answers. Just some legitimate information.

Reply to
Rebel48

Reply to
Shades

These guys sell starters, too! This is what spammers do - post some off topic shit to make a buck. I don't make anything off the link but if you get a new block, your starter should bolt right up. Ed was right, and I didn't think he was being a smartass. Here's some legitimate information - you're a spammer! .

Reply to
George

Thanks George. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't e-mail me Rebeldad, I already have enough junk in my inbox to delete.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

information -

information.

Reply to
Crooked-Ridez

Then send a legitimate message.

Die, spam, DIE! 8)

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

Yes you can weld castings. You just have to know how to do it-- preheat the casting and so on.

Noone said it would be easy....

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

This is an 84. /= "super early"

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

George, As I told Ed I am trying to find a solution to a problem I have. I've tried welding and it keeps breaking loose. Its a fairly recent rebuild or I'd dump the block and replace it. I've had the screen name Rebel48 for a number of years. My son recently set up new email and newsgroup servers for me and used Dad as my user name. I didn't know it till I had posted a few times. If this makes me a spammer, so be it. I'm new to the news group scene but I see lots of users with their web addresses on them. So why don't you get a life. I notice that you don't have the balls to use your real email address. BTW thanks for the 411 on the URL for GM parts but I already have that. I'm looking for something someone might have knowledge of that took some ingenuity to make work. Not a OEM part.

Reply to
Rebel48

Yeah but since this is an 84 I doubt it has a 55 or 56 block in it.

Reply to
Steve W.

How do I know if it's a Taco block or not.

Reply to
Rebel48

Reply to
George

NOT something you do with oil in it, in a truck. I'd think MAYBE brazing, but again.... NOT something you do with oil in the truck...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ