Starter problems, 350 to 400 turbo

I have put in 7 starters on my 383 chev engine in a 74 vette. I started having starter problems with previous emgine (stock 350) and had engine builder build a 383 for a little more go, etc. Since I got the motor in (new flex plate) I have put in 7 starters ranging from a new delco remy conventional starter to 3 hi torque small size starters.

Each starter lasts 3 or 4 starts, makes terrible grinding noises, and now there is a few metal slivers on the ring gear. When a freind starts car and I observe starter it seems that drive comes out OK, but when extended, it does not make contact with ring gear, barely touches it, etc.

adding a spacer would make it worse as it would move starter down and away from ring geat.

Ideas anyone, I am in need and about $500 out of pocket now. Ple4ase answer to me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if possible

Reply to
flyboyf102

You might check your engine & starter against this chart:

WayneC

There are starter shims available. I suggest you remove all cover pans, put the starter on, and observe it engaging the flywheel from behind. You may have to pull the transmission or engine so that you can. Then shim inner or outer bolts until it engages correctly. I would suggest the outer first as that should move the starter in. Shimming both only moves the starter further away.

Check your flywheel. You may have one slightly undersized, especially if the previous starters have been grinding the teeth off.

A possibility is that your builder align bored the mains and so the crank now sits higher in the block. If so, you may have to have the starter machined slightly on the mounting pad to raise it up enough to again align with the center of the flywheel. However, shimming will probably do it for you. Machining should be the last thing to try, as it is the most expensive, and your starter will be something not easily replaced if that ever is needed in the future.

A lot of work, yes, but what is your alternative? Sit and watch the car in your garage?

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Thanks tom, already tryed to machine face of starter, took .080 off and it did not make any diff. I set starter before installing engine and seemed to work OK. Thanks for info and I am going to try to shim one bolt and see what happens.

Reply to
flyboyf102