350 tbi rolls over to much before starting

as above. 1990 tbi 350 it rolls over 8-12 times before starting and is a bitch in the cold... it will flood before it will start.. I changed the oil, plugs (gapped @ 35) but it seems like no spark for 5-6 cranks then by the time it does, it is flooded.. Motor runs awesome once running, timing is right. It has a new ignition module in it, new 02 , new plugs, wires cap rotor. My friends truck is almost as bad.. Could it be the coil ?... HELP !

Reply to
Chevrolet

Chevrolet

It is normal for it to run a while at times on shut down (the pump). Have you changed fuel filer recently. I have seen car be hard to start and tend to flood a bit with they finailly light off with a plugged filter. Might do a fuel pressure check too if filter does not help. My

89 that I bought new may roll over a have dozen times or more before it lights off when it has been sitting for several days but it always lights off and sometimes it is a bit rich for about a minute top or less and then it smooths out nicely.Never worried about it because it has never failed to start and runs real well otherwise.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Chevrolet

Did you ever get this sorted out?? My '95 Jimmy does the same thing. I suspect a lazy coolant temp sensor or nasty vac leak. This has damn near left me stranded due to a near flooded motor. I'm going to change the ECT sensor tomorrow and report back. Thanks, Andrew.

in article KCdsh.443$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net, Chevrolet at snipped-for-privacy@cogeco.ca wrote on 1/19/07 7:45 PM:

Reply to
AWN

Reply to
Chevrolet

Did you unplug the tan wire on the firewall when you timed it?

Reply to
NOELBIKER

Reply to
Chevrolet

I run mine at 8 BTDC and never even try to use 87 octane. It running really well even after 180K miles. Gets better MPG than it should too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What Tan wire, sorry if it's a stupid question.

Reply to
Blair Chesterton

The tan wire that you unplug to tell the computer you are going to set the timing.....location varies

Reply to
News Skimmer