4L60-E rebuild kit

It looks like I need to rebuild the tranny on my Tahoe. Gears 1 and 2 are solid as a rock, but it slips going into 3rd, let alone even trying to go into OD. There is also a loud clanking sound when shifting into reverse that of which I haven't quite discovered the source.

The wrench that looked at it says the bands(?) are bad (not entirely sure how he put it, so "bad" will have to suffice) and that it needs a rebuild kit with both the kevlar and the steel bands. I'm happy to let him pick out what it needs, but I'm wondering if it would be better to to go with just an OEM rebuild kit or if there is an aftermarket one that will perform much better and last longer. Once fixed, I plan on having the vehicle for quite some time. Unfortunately, I don't have the few grand to blow on a brand new transmission, but a few hundred for a rebuild I can swing.

Thanks, Brandonb

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Is this guy working for free? I don't see how you're gonna rebuild the trany for a few hundred dollars. Rich B

Rich B

'steel bands' ???????

good grief

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Very possible I heard incorrectly, like I mentioned before, I'm not sure how he said it. I've never messed with transmissions, and this is actually my first automatic.

Brandonb

TransSurge> 'steel bands' ???????

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Actually, yes. He's my roommate's father. He has a vested interest in making it work again quickly. He said if I bought the parts, he'd do the labor.

Brandonb

Rich B wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

That's great, sometimes I wish I knew someone like that. Rich B

Rich B

Since ONE guy can R&R the tranny in 2 hours on most 2WD trucks. and ONE guy can dissassemble the tranny in one hour, and then reassemble it checking clearanvces etc in 2 hours, The parts are about $200 yet the tranny shop is F'ing you over for $1500-$3000 for this work.

$200 in parts, 5 hours labor (@$60 hr ), Should be a total about $500

Reply to
I'm Right

OK, You state the parts are about $200. My question is what are the parts? and should I just go with OEM? or since the situation has reared its ugly head, should I just upgrade to aftermarket parts as it will already be torn apart?

Brandonb

I'm Right wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

HAHAHAHAHA

you have no concept of the costs of being in business, do you ?

Reply to
TransSurgeon

I'll take a wild stab and guess "hhhhheeeeeellllllllll nooooo."

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I think there are only a handfull of stock parts in the 4L60/65E that are built well enough to replace with another stock part - and those parts probably aren't causing any trouble here.

As far as bands and clutches go, aftermarket definitely sounds like the best bet.

I haven't heard of anyone using any specific kits. Most people I hear about (who are doing performance rebuilds) just buy parts based on how much power they plan on feeding the tranny.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Alrighty, thanks. Its sounding more and more like I'm going to need to get a specific list of everything he needs, as oppsed to an all-in-one "kit". Thanks for the help. Are there any aftermarket manufacturers to keep an eye out for? either to go with or stay the hell away from when it comes time to buy the parts?

Brandonb

Marc Westerl>

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Re: 4L60-E rebuild kit Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Feb 24, 2004, 11:14pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@urWrong.net (I'm=A0Right)

Since ONE guy can R&R the tranny in 2 hours on most 2WD trucks.

and ONE guy can dissassemble the tranny in one hour, and then reassemble it checking clearanvces etc in 2 hours,

The parts are about $200

yet the tranny shop is F'ing you over for $1500-$3000 for this work. $200 in parts, 5 hours labor (@$60 hr ), Should be a total about $500 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D UR wrong again.....

I "CAN" R&R that tranny in 1 hour....have a cup of coffee....eat a breakfast burritto..... go to the bathroom....have my tools put away.. ..and maybe have a little time left over to tell really good joke.

BUT THAT DON'T MEAN I'M GONNA!!!!!

and I doubt very seriously if Gary G is gonna clean one up and slam it back togeather ..... all in 3 hours either.....though I have confidence it could if he wanted to.

Turbo jobs is extry..... :)

oh yeah.....to the OP if yer buddies dad isn't a tranny rebuilder..... do yourself a favor....and ask us if we think you should even let him TRY TO REBUILD IT.

before you do a repost saying you may have made a mistake.

If he is a builder....let him handle the parts and stay out of his hair.

MarshMonster ~on the ground in 15?........okay boss....i understand...turbo exodus in progress~

00 L O =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Reply to
Marsh Monster

From: snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (TransSurgeon) 'steel bands' ??????? good grief

______________________________________ Was probably referring to the "steels" which would be the steel clutch plates which aren't always replaced,sometimes they only replace the ones with the friction material attached.Ideally all should be replaced and a good kit might contain these.

By the way,the shop I used to work at (until 1982) was bringing in $30,000/week with 5 employees who were being paid peanuts.A kit cost about $40 then.A good business to be in even now I'm sure.But a note about those labor estimates quoted in prior postings:It's not unusual for a tranny to have to come back out due to some glitch.The total time for a job can be 3 or 4 times as high as quoted.

Reply to
Brian Orion

Whole bunch of info on the 4L60 tranny and their lousy sunshells, valve bodies, reamer kits, etc.....do a Google search.

Reply to
Harpman