4WD Question

Last year I was in a pretty serious accident in my Chevy S-10 (crew cab).. I wasn't hurt but the truck took a lot of damage ($10,k +) and when I went to switch in into 4WD this past week (nasty weather in the Pittsburgh area) I wasn't sure that my 4WD was even working... which leads to my question, how can I tell if the 4WD is working or not? The light on the dash came on but to me that doesn't mean a darn thing.. in the past I heard a 'clunk' when it kicked in and didn't hear it this time... also, it was hard to make a sharp turn when I was in 4WD but this time it didn't seem to be... I'm not worried about the repair since it was a 'guaranteed' repair but I thought I'd ask you guys before taking it in..

thanks in advance, Steve in Mars, PA

Reply to
MarsLionsFan

From your description I'd say your 4x4 is not working. The way I always verify is the tight turns where you can feel it binding. If you don't feel anything different in tight turns it's really unlikely it's in 4wd.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

take a good roller jack and put it under the center of the rear diff.(pumpkin). Start up, put in 4wd, foot on brake, put in drive and CAEFULLY release brake. Rear wheels will rotate and front wheels should move vehicle slightly ahead-you won't have to go far to see if

4wd engaged.(inches)later* snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

Asht> >

Reply to
jerry

Get on dirt or gravel, put it in 4 wheel drive, and drive in a circle.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

thanks to everyone for your input! I've already tried the tight turn w/o the binding so I am just going to call the ins co tell them what's happening and have them pay for the fix!

Steve in Mars, PA

Reply to
MarsLionsFan

Just to give an update, when I took my truck in today for a diagnostic on my 4WD, it was found that the vacuum hose connecting the 4WD to ?? wasn't there and the dealer popped a new one on and it's all good...

thanks to everyone who replied to my post...

Steve In Mars, PA

Reply to
MarsLionsFan

Yes that model uses engine vacum to operate a actuator that engages front axle disconect

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan